Christmas Part 9

The flight alone left me too much time to think so I was more than relieved when the plane landed. My parents met me at the airport and swept me up into hugs. I momentarily forgot about Zach. "Hey I missed you guys." I tell them.

"We missed you too sweetie." My dad says. On the drive home I talk to them about the other guys and what they're like. I don't mention Zach hoping they wouldn't notice. I didn't get so lucky.

"So how's Zach?" My mom raises her eyebrows at me in the rearview mirror. So much for that plan.

"Oh he's good, nothing new really." I shrug looking away from her. I can still feel her eyes on me but I ignore it. I really don't want to tell them about Kendra or my unexpected jealousy. I got home and my parents insisted on spending as much time with me as possible. We made lunch and watched a movie. When the movie was over I officially needed a break so I told them I was going over to see Zach's family.

I walked over to give me more time, I didn't really have a script prepared but I knew most of it would be a lie. I walked up the front porch steps and knocked on the door. His mom answers the door, "hey Blake come on in." She waves me inside.

"Where are the kids?" I ask talking about Zach's siblings.

"School, it's not quite Christmas break for them yet. But how have you been?" She sits down on the couch and I sit in a chair across from her.

"Pretty good LA is amazing." I tell her.

"Is Zach liking it too? He hasn't given many details." She frowns a little but puts her smile back on.

"He loves it, he really likes making music with the other guys."

"That's good, you making music too?" She asks me.

"Oh yeah, but I haven't really gotten it to anyone yet."

"Oh just have Zach help you."

"Yeah." I'm trying to be normal but it's so hard to talk about him. She's always been a second mom to me so she already knows something is wrong.

"Did something happen Blake?"

"No of course not, I just wanted to check in on you too." I put on a smile.

She smiles back, she knows when not to push, "alright sweetie I'm here if you need me."

"I know, I'll talk to you later." I wave bye and walk back to my house.

Christmas morning I wake up to a chorus of texts. Apparently the guys put me into a group chat to wish me Merry Christmas. Why they all felt the need to text me individually in the group chat I have no idea. I laugh and send a Merry Christmas back. Zach is in the chat too but he doesn't respond if he saw the texts. I run downstairs and my parents are already up and sitting on the couch. There's a few gifts under the tree. I pass them out and we open them. I had gotten them both a souvenir from LA and they got me a new lyric journal. "You guys didn't have to do that!"

"It's better than that old notebook you have." My mom tells me. I hug and thank them. I'll transfer my lyrics when I get back to LA, I left my notebook there. Normally on Christmas Zach and I would spend the day checking out our new stuff after being with our families. My mom insisted we watch a couple of Christmas movies but I told her I'll join them later.

I go back to my room and put away my gifts. I put on the new necklace my dad got me. Its a golden music note charm with a silver cross hanging next to it. I change out of my PJs and put on some running clothes. I pick up my phone and turn on some music after putting in my earbuds. I check my texts and see pictures of the stuff the guys got each other. I send a picture of myself with my new necklace. I get responses from Jack, Jonah and Daniel telling me it looks great. No Corbyn thats odd. I sigh and see Zach still hasn't responded. He wouldn't sleep in on Christmas would he?

I text him. I can't take it anymore if he doesn't respond fine but it's Christmas I mean really.

Merry Christmas Zach

I go for my run and wait for a text from him. My phone buzzes a couple of times and I'd stop and eagerly open it but its only the guys. Corbyn saying he misses me and I send a laughing emoji and tell him I'll be back tomorrow. I didn't plan on staying home long anyways. I put my phone back and continue down the sidewalk.

I get back to the house and sit on my front porch steps. Lay back and sigh. How am I going to fix things with Zach when he won't even answer my texts. I hold my phone above me and check for a message. Still nothing. I sit up and squint at the sun. The shade made me have to adjust my eyes again.

Just then a car pulls up in front of the house. Two people get out and I stand up. No way. The two boys start towards the porch but one of them breaks out into a run when he sees me. I run to him and we collapse into a hug in the middle of the yard. He spins me around and I want to cry.

"Zach I-" I don't know what to say.

"Shh I'm so sorry. I should've come sooner." He strokes my hair and I pull away from him to look at him. "This is all my fault."

"No I shouldn't have been so harsh."
We hug again and when I release him this time I look back at the other boy. I smile at Corbyn. "You put him up to this didn't you?"

He smirks, "actually it was his idea. He kept going on about missing his best friend."

I walk over and give him a big hug too."Well since you're here, you can actually say hi to my mom. Zach you better go see your family."

He laughs, "yes ma'am." He starts down the sidewalk and I lead Corbyn inside.