16 Odalia

When Erik mentions Kerrie-uh in this chapter, it's referencing the masquerade ball in Expired. As I'm rewriting it, I decided to turn it into a holiday.

Erik~~

"Sto soleil," the Preeminence of Odalia thanks us. "We will discuss and call for you when we have reached a decision."

Standing in the center of the senate chamber, Rydersin curtsies while I bow. The Order seated in their thrones that circle us, dip their heads, their laurel-wreath crowns glinting. The chamber is arranged like the one in Elleany, but the structure, the materials are different. It's made of light gray stone and feels airier. But I can't keep my skin from prickling, half expecting someone to jump out and attack us.

Maybe growing up with rebel attacks messed me up.

I follow Rydersin out of the chamber, her dark green dress trailing the floor behind her, the gold sash tied around her waist—that is probably woven with real gold strands—swaying. Half of her braids are twisted into a bun on the top of her head. The rest hang down her back. A gold laurel-wreath crown adorns her head.

She radiates power even though I'm not sure the meeting went all that well. They are more likely to tell us no than yes.

There were a lot of promises on Rydersin's part. Apparently, Odalia's and Acquaellia's Orders are not all that friendly, and she promised to heal any wounds once she is Preeminence. An offer her father has been against making for years.

While Odalia's Order seemed to welcome that, they threw blistering questions at her for wanting to steal her brother's title. Her brother won't be of age to take the position for years. Were Rydersin to become Preeminence, they would not be able to wait for him to become old enough to be initiated as Beta. Her brother would lose any right to a title.

As we exit the chamber and step onto the stone veranda, two Konkursi close the doors behind us. We're left to the company of the waterfalls that surround the veranda and any Konkursi that are scattered among the columns that support the roof.

Rydersin faces me and without saying anything brushes off my blazer. She had me dress in a blue suit jacket, threaded with gold designs, and while I have to begrudgingly admit that the jacket is nice, I already feel as if I'm attractive enough without extravagant clothes. It's not like I want my face to clash with my clothes.

That'd be embarrassing.

"I think that went well," she says.

I arch an eyebrow. "You do?"

"If they weren't going to consider me, they would have told us outright."

She heads for the stairs that will take us down to where the waterfalls pool. The slight breeze ruffles her dress and feels nice on my brow.

The steps are slick, and we have to tread carefully lest we slip and fall over the edge into the water below. Amoria seems to enjoy tempting death. Well, maybe not tempt. We can't die until our Expiration Dates, so perhaps mock would be the better word. Like poking the window that keeps you separated from a lion at the zoo.

I glance back to get another look at the beautiful structure. Molly would have loved this. She would have been terrified of Amoria, but she still would have relished its beauty.

When we reach the bottom of the steps, we follow the path along the water, headed for the mansion that holds the dining and ball rooms of Odalia's Order. It's in the middle of the two cliffs where the Order members have carved out their own small palaces in the rock. They've also built onto the rock creating balconies and rooms. I liken the mansion to a clubhouse in a neighborhood. It's a place for the families to gather since they don't all live together in the same building like the Society does.