38 Knife

Colton~~

Vienna, Percy, and I arrive on the Preeminence of Acquaellia's doorstep, bags in hand like three weary travelers, only to be told he's not home.

I clamp down on my irritation. We are intruding upon him after all.

The attendant who opened the door has us step inside as two other attendants take our bags. He leads us through the mansion that serves as the Preeminence's home and the headquarters for Acquaellia's Order. Three of Preeminence Moretti's manors could fit inside and there would still be space left over. Of course, none of the buildings I've seen in Amoria have compared to either of our Estates. We're taken through an archway that leads into a large living room. The ceiling stretches at least three stories above us, and a large fire burns in the hearth; though, sweat still beads on my forehead from the walk from the car to the door.

"Do you know when Preeminence Torellae will return?" I ask as I take a seat beside Vienna on a brown leather couch.

"I'm sorry Beta, but the Preeminence was clear he would not be back until he had finished his business."

Percy sits in a love seat adjacent to the couch, and though he leans into the armrest, his back is tensed.

The attendant folds his hands together. "You are welcome to stay with us until he returns. Preeminence Moretti said we should be expecting you, and Preeminence Torellae had us prepare rooms for you."

"Thank you." My tone sounds as stiff as Percy's back. I wanted to come here and leave, to jump through whatever hoops the Order put before us and be on our way to the next Order.

"In the meantime, I'm sure you've had a long trip, so please let yourselves relax, and I will have refreshments brought in."

Once he's gone, the three of us sit in silence. What is there to talk about? We've been in a car together for the past hour and before that a plane and before that another car. The only new topic is speculating where Preeminence Torellae has run off to when the Head Preeminence told him he'd have guests coming. We aren't in a space where we could discuss that topic freely.

Percy stands, and my eyes track him as he walks past us. As he circles behind the couch, I lean back, resting my elbow on the armrest, my fingers pressed into my forehead, and close my eyes. If we could be shown to our rooms, a nap doesn't sound terrible.

From behind us comes a thud, and Vienna and I jump to our feet. Beside the archway, Percy has Elisana, the Tresais's daughter, shoved against the wall, the edge of a knife pressing against her throat.

I approach them slowly, Vienna inchesONLYONWATTPADBENDERbehind me.

"Percy, I do hope you were sure that was her before you shoved a knife against her. I don't think Preeminence Torellae would have liked you slicing open any of his household."

Per usual my cousin ignores me. His body presses against hers as his other hand grips her arm. "Are you spying on us?" His tone is low, cold.

Elisana's lavender eyes are wide. "No," she gets out roughly, trying to speak against the blade.

My eyes fix on it. "Since when do you carry knives?"

Percy's grip on her tightens. "Colton, now really isn't the time, but if you ever actually deigned to train with me more you would know I always do."

Head tilting slightly, I narrow my eyes on the knife that looks entirely too familiar. "Did you get that from my room? At the Estate?"

He spares a glance down at it. Elisana's neck is stretched tightly. "Tobias dared me to."

With the knife identified, my palms grow slick, and I inch back, needing to put distance between me and that blade.

Percy refocuses on Elisana. "Why should I believe you?" He releases some of the pressure on the knife and her neck, enough to let her talk.

That knife—pressed against a throat—the room feels hot, my clothes too tight. My feet don't feel as firmly planted on the tiled ground as they should.

"I . . ." The Tresais's daughter presses herself deeper into the wall. "I wasn't ready to say goodbye yet."

A muscle ticks in Percy's cheek. He doesn't look convinced, which is, despite my impending fainting spell, something I must give him credit for considering how doe eyed he was over her.

"When I found out that you hadn't let for Earth, that you were still on Amoria, I . . ."

"You what?" Percy's long fingers curved around the blade are no longer at tight as they were.

I can't look away from it. That blade—the one with which I tried to kill Iris.

The one I pressed against her throat when I snuck into her hotel room.

And while Percy is not able to kill Elisana because of her Expiration Date, I could have done it. I could have killed Iris. And I would have if I had only a few seconds more.

I brace myself against the wall, and Vienna looks at me, concerned.

"I don't get to travel often," Elisana continues. "But I do have relationships with the other Orders and thought if I offered my help, my connections, you would let me come with you.

"So you can spy on us?" Percy's tone is serious but even through my blurring vision, I can tell he's starting to be affected by her words.

I want to yell She is a spy, Percy. I didn't trust her then and I will not trust her now, but in my head, I keep seeing myself managing to kill Iris that day and then losing my brother's love forever. Losing my position as Beta. Losing Vienna when she learned what I had done. My entire world would have fallen around me all because Iris wasn't in it.

I sink to the floor and hear a knife clatter against the tile as my vision darkens. There are hands on me, but they all feel the same, and the words I hear are muffled.

I left her behind. I left her to whatever sick games Moretti had planned for her because I let myself believe if the positions were switched, Jonas would have done the same thing to be with Iris. But that was an awful way to look at it because of course Jonas would have left. He doesn't care for Vienna the same way I care for Iris. His world wouldn't be knocked too off-kilter if something were to happen to Vienna; not like mine would be if Iris was removed from it.

I left her.

I didn't go to her when she was screaming.

I abandoned her.

It feels as if I have plunged that knife into my own chest and am twisting it in a circle.

Cold, icy water splashes over my face, and I jolt, my senses rushing back to me. My vision evens out and sound returns to my ears.

Vienna stands over me with a clear empty glass in her hand. Beyond her is the attendant with a cart of refreshments.

"What happened?" Vienna demands, her voice shaking.

I shake my head. "I think I just went too long without food." Percy still has a hand on Elisana's arm. "She's probably . . . most definitely a spy, and you will not convince me otherwise." Percy looks annoyed. Then again, my girlfriend did end up being a rebel for years and I had no idea, so maybe I don't have the best discernment when it comes to who is a spy and who is a rebel and who really just has a crush on my cousin. "But never let me see that knife again and she can stay." Vienna hands me a glass of water, and I chug it.

At least Preeminence Torellea wasn't here to witness any of that.

I was going to ask if you think Elisana is here to spy, but I realized I wouldn't be able to hear you over the wedding bells coming from the next chapter.

Happy holidays!

Actually I will ask a question. Who's POV should the wedding be from? Iris's or Jonas's?