17 Fortune

Erik~~

         Three days later, the Order of Odalia reaches their decision.

I stand behind Rydersin as she faces the Preeminence. Looking at her, I could never tell that she was nervous. But she must be, right? I'm nervous, and I'm quite certain that I'm not doing a good job of hiding it. I have a lot riding on this, maybe not as much as Rydersin, but I do have a fortune waiting for me if Rydersin gets her wish. If Rydersin's request is denied, I walk away with nothing. My time wasted.

The Preeminence sits in his chair. One of the few things I appreciated when I was Tresais was that we weren't expected to stand when speaking in senate. There was never any awkward hunching or bending trying to find your notes. You could remain seated and shuffle through your notes with leisure. We weren't barred from standing. There was plenty of it when we felt like yelling at each other.

Or trying to strangle each other.

The Preeminence looks more like a grown-up Cupid than a dark lord. His blond curls might as well belong to a cherub, and if I squint, the gold laurel wreath in his hair could be a halo. He smiles, not cruelly, but warmly, and I don't think that's something I've ever witnessed from Jonas in the senate chamber in Elleany. His white cheeks have a light flush. A rosy happy baby. Hence cherub.

"Rydersin Torellae, you have brought before us by no means a small request."

Rydersin nods.

"Many of us have sisters who, had the law been overturned before this, would sit in this Order right now, and some of us would not be here." Those said sisters are not present in the chamber. "We are not naïve. We know our sisters would have excelled in our positions. My eldest is my daughter, and though she is still quite young, I think—no, I know that I should like to see her sit in this throne one day." He runs his finger over the arm of the black throne. "We know you came before us, asking to be Preeminence and that is all. But we have taken a vote and give our support to overturning the law that kept our sisters from these positions. Whether or not you are able to convince the other Orders to do the same, our decision is now recorded. Should the Orders at this time or in the future reach the same decision, the law will be overturned."

Rydersin bows her head, her hands clutched behind her back. "Thank you, Preeminence Merano."

"We all hope to be able to call you Preeminence Torellae. Set ul freyanay a Amoria"—to the ends of Amoria—"fa ul kreealis pera, abree soleil ana." And the stars beyond, go well. It's a common way Amorians say goodbye to someone they won't see for a long time.

"Fa bolee da zya set soleil saem shee," Rydersin says. And let me return to you once more.

*****

The boat glides over the still orange water of the lake. Orange due to minerals in the water. The Preeminence of Surielius, whose home overlooks the lake, is across the barge, speaking with Rydersin, both of whom are reclined on couches.

We were meant to be in Gadfrie where Rydersin's uncle is the Eta, but when we stood before their Order, they told us to return if we obtained permission from the rest of the Orders.

Xiaozhi joins me at the railing, two glasses in her hand. She holds one out.

I take it, hesitant. "What is it?"

"Juice."

I nod my thanks, not feeling the need to put effort into having a conversation with a person who only speaks one-word sentences to me. I never cared for diagramming sentences, but I do know juice doesn't count as one. Where is the verb? Where is the Here, Erik, here is a cup of juice. I thought you might like it?