57 I'm Not The Villain

Jonas~~

            Elisana eventually finds a Konkursi to let her in, and when she tumbles inside, she's out of breath as if she ran all the way from Borilia to Gadfrie, and I almost snort. I'd like to see that.

Now I'm starting to sound like Colton.

Percy's tucked himself in a corner, arms crossed, eyes ever watching as if he's removed himself from the situation and is an outside observer.

"I know you have no reason to believe anything I have to say."

"You don't say," Colton drawls.

"But I truly wish you no harm. I was only doing what my father ordered."

Colton takes a step forward. "Which was to spy on us and then stab Jonas and Iris in their sleep?"

"Only the spying part." She turns to me. "I never meant for you to get hurt."

"Then you're telling me you didn't know about Ean's assignment?"

She clamps her mouth shut, and I sigh.

"What about the Head Order do you need to tell us?"

"They're coming here. They'll be in attendance tomorrow night. They don't want you getting Gadfrie's vote."

A hand clenches around my heart. It isn't as if I didn't expect this possibility, but still I hoped everything would go smoothly. "And how do they intend to do that? By killing us?"

"I don't think they would. It would risk angering the Society. But they can do a lot that doesn't involve you dying. You already know that."

Iris grabs hold of my arm, stepping close to me. "They've already punished us and let us go."

"They clearly didn't think you'd win over the rest of the Orders," Percy says, and Elisana's eyes flick to him for a mere second. "This time we'll be expecting them. We won't let them hurt you." It's true I wasn't expecting the arrest on my wedding. Our Veil easily outnumbered the Amorians who came with Alastair. They could have stopped us from being taken. But if we had resisted, Amoria would have only sent more of them and probably soldiers too.

Elisana's expression wavers, and she bites her lip.

"What?" I ask.

"It's not as simple as only protecting you. Borilia will be certain no one will be able to interfere."

"So Gadfrie is on their side?"

"Gadfrie always chooses the safest side."

Colton comes alongside her and ushers her to the door. "You've said what you needed to say and you're clearly going to be no more help. You can go."

Elisana digs her heels into the ground, but Colton keeps moving, and his arm slams into her back, sending her stumbling. Percy takes a step forward but collects himself and stops.

The Tresais's daughter rights herself and looks back at me. "I know you don't trust me. I really do want you to succeed. I didn't think I had any choice but to obey my father and the Order."

Colton works his jaw. "Whatever you are—or whoever you are—your little friendship speech isn't going to get you a room in here. Gadfrie can find you another."

"I know that. I just"—her eyes drift to Percy—"please don't hate me."

Percy looks away, the muscles in his neck tensing as he swallows.