73 Is This Really the End?

Iris~~

Three weeks after returning to the Estate, I kiss my husband in front of the Society. The sounds of cheering and clapping ring in my ears as Jonas's hands press into my back, and I feel exactly where each finger is.

When we break our kiss, he leans his forehead against mine. "Mrs. Blackwood."

"Preeminence."

"How did I get so lucky as to marry you twice?"

"I don't think luck had anything to do with it." I place my hands on either side of his face as his hands move to grip the sides of my hips, smoothing over the material of my wedding dress, the one Gwen saw I wanted and surprised me with. The one that shows off both my Expiration Date and the marriage Mark I share with Jonas. "We worked for this. You and I. It's only right we marry twice."

"Are you saying we should go for a third?"

I turn my head, forehead still pressed against his, to look out at the crowd who still clap for us. Our ceremony is being held in the same place as before, on the pavilion overlooking the lake. But this time, no one came down the aisle to stop us. "Maybe in a decade. And, Jonas?"

"Hmm?"

"I think they're waiting." I tilt my head toward our guests.

"Oh all right." With a smile that lights up his blue eyes, he straightens his back, and together we face the Society.

"I present to you," says the pastor, "Preeminence Blackwood and Mrs. Iris Blackwood."

The cheering grows deafening and from the front row comes a bark. Darcy wiggles her way out of Elisana's arms and runs right to us, jumping up and pressing her paws against the front of my dress. Letting out a laugh, Jonas bends down and scoops her up, and she proceeds to lick his face. Two weeks ago, we found the Pekingese/Chihuahua/and something unidentifiable mix in a shelter. We were told she had fought parvo as a puppy and no one expected her to live, but she did. There was no doubt even before hearing her story that she was ours.

I lean over and press a kiss to the top of her yellowish cream head. Her collar for today is a wreath of purple and gray silk flowers that matches my bouquet

Jonas keeps Darcy in his arms as we make our way up the aisle, smiling at our family, our friends. My family, myfriends.

Because the Society is my family, and now that they're mine and I'm theirs, I can't ever imagine giving them up.

*****

Lights twinkle from floating lanterns scattered across the lake as the band plays swing music. Colton and Vienna, who finally wears a stunning emerald engagement ring, are putting everyone else to shame with their dancing. I've added swing dancing to an ongoing mental list of things Colton must teach me.

"There you are." Jonas makes his way over to me near where I stand by the shore. The water laps softly at the dirt and grass. "It's almost time to cut the cake."

"I was admiring the lights." With the unexpected trip to Amoria and now Darcy, Jonas and I have put our honeymoon on hold until things calm down. "I spoke with Erik today."

"Oh?"

"I was going to ask you to join, but you know your mother was insistent that the groom couldn't see the bride before the wedding."

He sidles up to me until his leg brushes mine. "Never mind that I've seen every last inch of you already."

I slap his chest. "You are incorrigible. And you look far too pleased at being called so."

He gives a mock bow. "Did he say anything interesting?"

"From what he can tell, the Head Order is trying to act like our time on Amoria never happened."

"It's good to know they're embarrassed."

"Embarrassed but unremorseful."

"Mmhmm."

"You mentioned cake."

"I did." He grins. "And I do believe the rest of the Society is thinking about how delicious our cake looks. Shall we put them out of their misery?"

I tuck my arm through his. "Lead the way, Preeminence."

When we reach the cake, with its three gray frosted tiers piped in purple icing, there is one knife and a plate. A much larger cake is waiting to be brought out for the guests to enjoy.

I pick up the knife and Jonas closes his hand over mine, and together we slice it down through the icing and into the cake, cutting a far from perfect slice. I ease the slice down onto plate, and we each cut off a bite-sized piece of the chocolate raspberry cake. As Jonas holds my piece toward my lips, I arch a brow. "You aren't going to miss, right, Preeminence?"

Jonas's jaw drops, and I shove the cake into his open mouth. He quickly chews and swallows. "Iris."

"Hmm?"

"How long have you been able to raise one eyebrow?"

I give him a coy smile. "I've been practicing. Staring into the mirror for very long periods of time and all that."

"So since when?"

"This morning." I lean forward. "Now about that cake . . ."

Jonas pushes the piece into my mouth, and I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed one bite of cake as much as I am right now.

Jonas picks up a cloth napkin and wipes the icing from his fingers before dropping it on the ground the moment I swallow my bite. His lips crash down on mine, and I tangle my icing tipped fingers in his hair.

And I, Iris Blackwood, Expired, a Raggioet, kiss the Preeminence of Elleany in front of the Society until they can have no doubt that I am very very much alive.

This book is now Expired.

I can't believe we're here. Thank you for being here. And though it's not really the end, this is still a really big deal to me. I started writing Iris's story in August 2014, and now that I'm here, it feels like I've been striving toward it since I typed out the first line of Expiration Date. I'm planning to do epilogues for Exposed, and Engaged will take place during and after the events of this book. Once I can finish the edit of Exported and make sure Exposed lines up, then I can post the updates of all four books and can then work on writing and sharing Engaged with you. I've been making good progress on editing Exported over the last few days. 

A little fun fact about the chapter is that Darcy is actually based off of my dog Chloe who my family rescued years ago. I though it would be sweet to include her. 

Thank you so much for coming on this very long journey with me. Thank you for loving these characters, for the fan art you've made, for the fan fiction you've wrote, and for all the times you've shared the story with your friends and family. I am so, so very grateful. 

Be on the look out for epilogues, the rewrites of the books, and Engaged. Leave Exposed in your libraries because I'll post in here when I post Engaged or if you follow me, you should get a notification as well about any new books I post. Also, a lot has changed in the rewrites of the first two books, so if there are any scenes you want me to save, let me know so I can see if I can post them as extra bonus chapters.

On Christmas Eve, I'll be posting the last chapter of Claus. Fitting, right? And I'm excited to share that I have a Rom-Com in the works. 

That's all for now! Love, Mikaela