2 My Bachelorette Party

Iris~~

Though I tried the wedding dress on three months ago, the bridal shop employee won't let me stand in a mirror as she helps me into it. She insists that seeing myself in it be a surprise. This is my final fitting before the wedding, which is only a week away.

            I follow her out of the dressing room and into the front of the busy New York City bridal store where Gwen waits on a couch for me, a glass of champagne in hand.

            She and I arrived in the city last night.

            My future sister-in-law sips on the champagne as the woman helps me onto a small platform, finally allowing me to turn around and face the mirrors.

            The dress is beautiful, the fabric a creamy white. It's simple without any embroidery or lace. The front is modest with a boatneck whereas the back is open in a wide V. I pick at the sleeves, catching Gwen's gaze in the mirror.

            She sets her glass down on a silver tray that's rests on a fuchsia footrest and waves the woman away. "You hate it," she says once the woman is out of hearing range.

            "No, it's not that."

            Walking over, she takes hold of the end of the dress and pulls on it so the fabric is not all bunched under me.

            Before we came to the store, Gwen insisted I have my hair and makeup done. She said that if I didn't, I was going to hate the dress no matter what, which I'm fairly certain was an insult whether she meant it to be or not.

            Even with my hair curled and styled, and face limned in highlighter and eyes lined and shadowed, the dress isn't what—

            "It's the sleeves, isn't it?"

            I let my offending hand fall to the side, away from where it wants to pick at the bandage through my sleeve.

            "I know I have to cover my Mark up." I won't wear the bandage on my wedding day. The sleeve will be enough. I'm marrying the leader of the country; the pictures won't only be going into a photo album. Everyone in Elleany will see them, as will the world. I may not have to hide my Expired Mark from the Society, but Elleany and the world can't know that I lived past my Expiration Date.

            "If you could wear any dress in this store, which one would it be?"

            I let myself give into the fantasy and allow my gaze to wander the store. Gathering up the skirt of my dress in my hands so as not to trip, I step off the platform, the plum-colored heels precarious and yet comfortable at the same time.

            The store is filled with one of a kind wedding dresses any person would be blessed to have the chance to wear for even a minute. There is no reason I shouldn't be content with this dress. Why should it bother me that I have to cover up my Mark? I've spent plenty of time hiding it under a bandage. Isn't what matters that I get the chance to keep living?

            Still, I find myself stopping in front of a mannequin toward the back corner of the shopfloor. The dress is made of regency organza, ivory silver lace, and tulle, the gown a Moscato color and decorated in floral lace and beading.

The dress is sleeveless.

            I place a gentle hand on the fabric, soft against the firmness of the beading.

            This is the dress I wish I could wear.

            "It certainly is beautiful." Gwen's managed to creep up behind me without my knowing. A rare feat.