Outting

I lied in bed for a long while just scrolling through things on my phone, enjoying the tranquility that my body was lingering in because it was a three day weekend. My legs felt weightless and my back felt relaxed. The only thing ruining the moment was the wedgie riding up.

Unintentionally, I pulled up my mother's contact in my phone, my eyes dragging over each letter of "Mom" and over each number of her cell phone. With enough convincing I was holding the phone to my ear and listening to it ring and ring. But who was I to get my hopes up that she'd actually answer? I was her fucking daughter. That was who. It wasn't a secret that she was always up right at six to start her day, so for her to shamelessly ignore my phone call was pretty pathetic on her behalf.

"Yeah, mom, hey. It's Sage, you know...your daughter." I sighed. "Call me back." I hit the red button then tossed my phone somewhere on my bed.

You know those moments where you were upset about one thing and then you started get upset about a billion other things? That was me right now. I was upset that my mom didn't answer my phone call, I was upset that Michael, Luke, and I were drifting apart, I was upset about Lucia randomly reappearing back in my life after I thought she was a chapter that I believed could be closed. Everything. Just every damn thing brought my mood down because of one stupid phone call. Maybe the Lucia thing happened by coincidence, but it still ruined my mood.

After a couple of minutes of pouting, I pushed the sheets off of myself, deciding Monday was the wrong day to decide to be a little bitch about things.

The door to Sam's room was still closed so that meant that Arrie was still asleep, perhaps very exhausted from so much cleaning yesterday. I would feel slightly uneasy offering my room to someone. Like, that took a lot of trust that I didn't have in me to feel confident they won't go through your stuff and find something embarrassing or steal something. Sam just always trusted people a little too much. He had a big heart and a lot of trust and that could be why he ended up in nasty situations, trust could ruin anyone's judgment.

Parading downstairs, I heard the television. I took a lucky guess that my dad was watching some pre-game football show to be prepared for what he does best on days he has off; watch football. The TV may had been in the new as ever living room, but dad was nowhere to be seen, meaning he was in the kitchen cooking breakfast.

"Hey dad." I sat up on the counter nearby the stove.

"Morning Buggie." When he smiled his eyes crinkled, reminding me of his aging matter. Momentarily becoming sad that there would be a day I wouldn't have him around. "Sleep well?"

"As well as someone can when they know they have a three day weekend and you'll have to start over your repetitive lifestyle the day after that." I chuckled along with my dad.

I watched on as my dad continued to flip bacon and have a war with the toaster that refused to stay down and toast the bread. It was nice, moments like these. They were what made a house feel like a home and reminded you why family was a thing to begin with. The laughs shared because the toaster nob was on eject the entire time were laughs that would stay in the back of my mind and it would be the only memory I had when I could no longer remember my own name. There was not a sour stench in the air because we weren't all walking carefully over glass to make sure we did not piss mom off. Anything could be said or happen and a good ol' scolding would not be returned.

So while I spread butter on a slice of bread I reminded myself that there were possible positives without mom here.

"Arrie says he doesn't like to eat breakfast, so it's just us." My dad pointed out as he poured orange juice into a glass for me.