Dates and Spottings

If you don't normally vote it would be really cool if you voted for this chapter or any of them really because this is ranked as #332 in fanfiction right now and it would mean a lot to get this ranked in the 200s. Love you guys.

Monday night into Tuesday morning was scheduled for even more questions to occupy my mind. And to also check my phone every six seconds, eager with anticipation that my mom had called back and I had, maybe, missed the call because I kept getting distracted with new questions popping into my head. Somewhere between one and three in the morning I told myself that she wasn't going to call and I needed to settle for that.

And so as I settled, my mind wandered to the conversation I had with my dad over breakfast. He gave me answers, yet still remained to obscure when he spoke. It was pretty clear why mom left, but I didn't know what dad meant by there being secrets, that there were things that I didn't know about her - things she was trying to hide. That brought me back to the photograph I had anonymously received. Sienna, she must've been heavy on the partying back in her day, she was probably someone who didn't give a fuck and did whatever made her happy in the moment. By that observation, sitting on a legendary band members lap was what made her happy on March 26, 1987.

I knew the basics of my mother. I knew that she was born in Tacoma, Washington in 1969 on January 22nd. I knew that her parents weren't the richest people, but were able to get by with what they had. I never heard stories about them, I never met them. The only grandparents I had come to know where my dad's parents. Mom had made the less than an hour drive down to Tacoma seem like it was impossible and did not once invite her parents for holiday's or birthday's. There lied a huge gap from the time my mom was born until Sam and I came into the picture and I was done pretending that it was okay for my own mother to be a total stranger to me.

Then I began to think about Ashton and his father. Maybe Ashton and I were brought together because destiny knew that we'd be able to relate somehow. Now, I had never had a parent pass away, but it sure felt like it. Destiny, perhaps, wanted us to come together to help the other cope. My mind soon began to make sure nothing Ashton had told me made sense to me anymore. Again, more questions pierced my brain. Somewhere in that time I fell asleep only to awake with one simple question that I barely muttered out as I sat up in bed.

Why?

Typical Tuesday morning procedure.

I kept thinking "why?" the entire car ride to school, ignoring Ashton and Arrie's disagreements about what professional football team was better.

In first period "why?" turned into "whatever." and I was virtually scoffing at everything. That pretty much summed up the first part of my day.

At lunch I sat quietly, scarfing down a sandwich, trying my best not to make eye contact with Luke who awkwardly sat across from me with a reflective look on his face. From my peripheral vision I could see him opening his mouth to say something, but shaking his head and looking back down at his food. The silence remained at the table for a solid fifteen minutes then Michael spoke up.

"Why's Calum talking to Samantha?" Michael snarled. "Why is she laughing? He's not even funny."

I looked over my shoulder to see Calum and Sammy blocking the entrance to the cafeteria. Sammy clutched books to her chest as she shyly smiled, her eyes looking to the ground as she bit her bottom lip.

"She's her own person, Michael." I reminded him with a sigh as I turned back to my food. "Sometimes I think you forget you aren't dating her."

"Yeah Michael, just knock it off." Luke mumbled.

"Knock it off?!" Michael exclaimed. "It makes me sick just watching them." Michael defended, slamming his hands on the table.