Bathtub

"I thought you were going to sleep?" Sammy asked from the couch. She practically teleported from her bedroom to the living room and was most likely watching the next best documentary she could find...and trust me the possibilities of the topics she could choose from were endless because of her outrageous cable plan.

She pointed to my belongings with the remote. "What's with the bags?"

"Ashton's picking me up...?" I dropped my bags to zip up my jacket, but the stupid thing kept getting stuck.

"Late night booty call?"

"I wish. That would be better than any other reason I can think of to have him want to pick me up." I muttered, finally giving up with the zipper. I didn't actually wish (okay, maybe I did, but I didn't need to express that.), I just wanted to sleep or at least stay in one place for a reasonable amount of time today. I was getting antsy.

"Hey Sammy, did you finish the pasta?" A masculine voice shouted from the kitchen. Without doubt, that was her dad yelling. He was forty-something-year-old man stuck in a lazy teenager's body - most of the time.

"I had it for dinner." Sammy shouted back while flipping through the television channels and further curling up underneath a wool blanket.

Her dad's foot steps entered the living room.

"Dad, you remember Sage, right?" Sammy asked before shooting him a dirty look as he was trying to fix something on his shirt.

"Sage Seesaw, right?" He asked with a forced smile, trying to secure his badge.

"Sirois." I blankly corrected.

"Leaving us so soon?" Her dad nodded over to the bags.

"Yeah, something came up. I have to get home."

If Ashton wanted attention then he surely go it with the loud banging on the door. He caused Sammy's dad to jump and drop his badge on the floor. There was a visible decision that stroke across his face when he chose that the badge could wait and pulling out his gun for safety was a much better idea as he carefully turned to the door.

"Who could that be?" He tip-toed to the door, hands securely on the weapon.

The wonderful sight of very-tired-pajama Ashton stood before him. Both Sammy and I gave hearty laughs.

"Sir, do you have any weapons or dangerous items on you?"

"I have a pack of gum and keys and my wallet." With furrowed eyebrows, Ashton patted the pockets of his jacket and his sweatpants.

"Dad, you're awful at this." Sammy sighed, walking over and grabbing her dad's arm. "Step away, he's a friend."

Sammy pulled her father to the kitchen. Girl's were always nice in the sense that they knew when it was an appropriate time to leave you alone with someone so you could talk. Whereas anyone with a penis lingered around and tried to listen in on the gossip (Michael and Luke).

"What's going on?" I asked just above a whisper as I yanked Ashton into the house and shut the front door to block out the chill from outside.

"Your house was broken into."

"What?"

"We need to go sort this out." He grabbed the inside of my elbow but I pushed him away and took a couple steps backward, feeling too close to Ashton for the sake of my own personal bubble. "The cops are there, but they can't do much since you or your parents aren't there."

"Why the tense looks?" With the gun - that made me notably nervous - tucked away, Sammy's dad entered the living room with a slice of pizza in his hand.