Fifty-Four

From the moment Jane had realised she was actually infatuated with Albus, every little thing he did was noticed by her at once. She took notice of what he had for breakfast, the slight furrow of his brow right before he answered a question, the way his lips would curl to the side if he found something amusing but wouldn't quite form a proper smile, how he pushed the glasses up his nose when he had been looking down for a while and then glanced up to find them lower than they should be.

There was nothing he did that evaded her notice and she thought it was getting rather obvious to others as well. Her suspicions were only confirmed when a few days later, Ramona cornered her in their dormitory while Annabeth and Charlotte were absent. At first, Jane had thought nothing of it. A few minutes later, she found herself spilling her feelings without restraint.

"He's so unique and intelligent and we've so many things in common," she told Ramona who was sitting on her bed, hardly managing to conceal the enthusiasm in her tone as Jane kept her gaze locked on the wall nearby, the almost dreamy expression on her face foreign but a welcome change to Ramona nevertheless.

"I know it's weird because it's Albus, he's our friend, and he whines over the most trivial of things and he's blunt and sarcastic at points and criticises anything that breathes-"

"If there's anyone who would like him for those traits of his that's you."

Jane paused as she glanced at Ramona. "What do you mean?"

"Girl, that's literally you at points!"

She couldn't help but chuckle before she turned her attention back to the wall with the same smile from before. Ramona resisted the urge to squeal.

"It's not just that. He may seem rough along the edges but he actually really cares for his friends and wants the best for us. He's understanding and accepts me regardless of all the things I've said or done and he calls me out when I do something stupid and I need that, you know? He's honest and he sees me and he's still around."

Ramona could no longer hide her endeared smile. "That's what I feel about Louis."

Jane's eyes widened. "Really?"

"Yeah. I think understanding and honesty are the two most important things a relationship should have, or else it won't get all that far in the end, it won't last. You and Albus work really well as friends, we've all realised that. We just need to see if you work as something more as well. Which I'm sure you do."

Jane now seemed to cower. "I don't know."

"It's fine, I know," she replied cheekily, "so, when are you going to tell him?"

Jane's eyes widened. "Tell him? Oh no-"

"Why not?"

"I really can't handle the rejection-"

"But he won't-"

"You don't know that-"

"I do-"

"No, Ramona, I'm not going to do that," she shook her head, "no way."

"How is he supposed to know if you don't say anything?" she exclaimed. "There's no way he doesn't like you back-"

"You can't be so sure-"

"Oh, I can be sure, I've seen the way he looks at you."

There was a pause before Jane hesitantly peered over at Ramona. "And how...how does he look at me?"

"With admiration, I'd say. He thinks highly of you and he cares about you, you know that. He's been this way for a while now."

Jane swallowed. "For how long?"