Nineteen

The mirror showed all. Even in the dim lighting of the candles, any imperfection was noticed at once as Jane looked at herself in the mirror, her dark gaze taking in her figure. She was dressed in a shiny scarlet dress Daphne and Vivian had loved on her and although it hadn't been her first choice, light in colour as it was, the more she looked at herself dressed in the garment—a lot more expensive than what she would usually wear—the more she found herself liking it.

The dress was the exact tone of red the Gryffindor banners were made of, the same shade as blood, and even though she had been hesitant about wearing a dress that had colours so similar to a house different than her own, she was starting to regret her initial decision to not choose this dress as her first option. It was long, just covering the front of her black shoes—that for once weren't boots—falling without touching her legs. The dress briefly outlined the natural swell of her hips and chest, slightly tight around the waist. There was a slight dip in the front, a small gem embellished on the dress located in the middle of her chest, in the deeper dip of the front of her dress. The sleeves cut at her shoulders, leaving them bare, and then continued until they reached her wrists, hugging her arms tightly.

It was certainly not something Jane would have worn on her own even though the dress was stunning, and she wouldn't have been comfortable wearing anything of the sort if she weren't confident in the way she looked with all the years she had spent playing Quidditch, building a body she actually felt comfortable in. Daphne and Vivian had been pleased when they had seen her, insisted on not letting Scorpius look at her until it was the time of the ball. Jane couldn't help but wonder how his reaction would be.

Her long hair was set in the usual tame curls, the front part of it kept away from her face and let loose to fall down her back. Her make-up was more noticeable than most times, her lips painted the same shade as her dress rather than the usual bronze she chose, her silver loopy earrings in place.

Jane looked at her reflection one last time in case she wanted to change anything and then left the room. She had been led to the ballroom earlier a couple of times so she now remembered where it was. Confident she wouldn't get lost, she followed the route Scorpius had adviced her to and soon enough, she heard chatter. She reached the grand doors and slipped inside, not gathering much attention during her entrance.

The ball had already started and she was thankful for her newfound height due to her heels as she noticed Scorpius and his father a few ways away, greeting people near the entrance. She was aware Scorpius would find her later in the night—he always did—so she walked on in search of another person she could know. Not long later, she fell upon a familiar face.

Louis Weasley looked even more handsome than he usually did, with his pearly white suit, his hair carefully combed and that stunning smile on his lips. He was standing with his family but the moment he noticed her he walked over, ignoring the looks of his family members as he met her halfway.

"I almost didn't recognise you," he laughed as he placed an arm around her shoulders lightly and started leading her over to his family. "I never thought I'd see you dressed in red. You look pretty."

"High praise, coming from you," she murmured as they came to a stop in front of his family. His sisters, Victoire and Dominique seemed to recognise her and Victoire even sent her a smile as Louis turned to his parents and cleared his throat.

"Mum, dad, this is Jane, my girlfriend's best friend."

"You've shown us everyone but your girlfriend," Victoire raised an eyebrow over at him before she turned to Jane with a smile. "Jane Gibbs, right? I remember you, you were extremely ambitious for a first-year."

"She still is," Louis piped in, not giving her a chance to speak for herself and Jane sent a smile at his sisters before she turned to his parents.