Fifty-Five

Albus looked up to the doors of the Great Hall every time they opened, gaze searching for the figure of the girl who had been occupying his mind for a while now, but every time he looked, it wasn't her. It had become a routine of sorts to look up every time the door opened the last few days ever since they started their seventh year, to try to locate Jane coming in with Ramona. Scorpius, usually sitting beside him, didn't show any bother for Albus's habit, even if he had to hide a smile from him by turning away.

Albus and Jane probably didn't realise how they looked for each other almost in any room they knew the other would soon appear in, but to Scorpius and Ramona, almost always being with them, seemed rather obvious. It was sweet, how much they seemed to care for each other. Scorpius was happy for them. He would be a lot happier if they were to actually do something about their feelings.

It didn't take long for Ramona and Jane to get in the Hall, the two of them talking among themselves. Jane was the first to look at the Slytherin table, eyes searching, and once she found them, her smile widened discreetly, her strides got quicker as she headed to them. Ramona matched her pace and soon, they were sitting down opposite them.

"Morning," Scorpius greeted them, receiving a low response in return as they focused on getting food in their plates. "You've got Arithmancy first thing in the morning, right?"

"Right," Ramona replied as Jane settled for a hum. "The Professor promised today's lesson would be interesting. I'm going to hold her to it."

"Arithmancy is always interesting," Jane objected, "it's hard to understand sometimes but it's interesting still."

"Sometimes?" Albus commented, an eyebrow raised. "Everyone says it's the hardest class in Hogwarts."

"It's worth it, though," she insisted, "you gain so much from it."

Scorpius seemed thoughtful for a moment. "How good are you at it, Jane?"

"She's the best in the class, what kind of question was that," Ramona laughed. "Sometimes she and Professor Vector have conversations on their own none of us can understand."

Jane had the decency to look slightly embarrassed. "I get carried away sometimes."

"You could become a Curse-Breaker," Albus thought out loud, his eyes wide as he turned to Jane. "Uncle Bill is one and he says it's necessary to have taken Arithmancy if you want to be one and that's why the position constantly needs people, hardly anyone ever takes Arithmancy as an elective. You're also good at Transfiguration, Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts so you probably wouldn't have that much of an issue."

Jane blinked, "I haven't decided. I don't think I should decide now either. Maybe when the exams get closer I'll realise my first goal can't be met so I will have to change and I don't want that."

"I'm pretty sure you won't have to change, you work well under pressure," Scorpius pointed out, "it wouldn't be a bad idea to start thinking of career options."

"Yeah, I decided on what I wanted to do when I was fourteen," Ramona smiled slightly from her position next to Jane. "I'm still taking my NEWTs so if modelling doesn't work out, with my results I'll be able to start working somewhere, but my decision isn't going to change."

"It wound be fun to see you in a photoshoot," Scorpius leaned forward, lips curled into a smile as he rested his chin on his hand. "You don't really talk about your projects and you haven't shown us your work."

"I don't really do that, yeah," she agreed with a small laugh, slightly bashful. "My work is shown in the muggle world more. Wizards don't advertise products much, muggles are a lot better at it than we are. Mother and I work in the muggle world. We've been in a few shoots together as mother and daughter and people know us. I still haven't made a name for myself but mother has. I hope one day I'll be able to reach her."