Sixty-Eight

When one's schedule was busy or hectic, it was rather common to end up losing track of time or track of days. Since their lives were consumed in their routine, every single day seemed the same, and so time passed without them fully realizing it. The seventh-year students of Hogwarts, a few months before NEWTs—the most crucial of all examinations in their lives so far—were perfect examples of this incident of time loss. Try as they might, though, that morning as they woke up and looked around, they could tell which day it was without a second thought.

Valentine's Day.

A day where the corners in the ceilings instead of cowebs were covered in pink and red ribbons, the usual candles of the Great Hall were swapped with scented ones—that made a couple of students sneeze at the smell—and you would find couples professing their love to each other or engaging in less innocent acts so often in the corridors you could think they were part of the decoration. For Jane, this was the worst kind of holiday. Seeing Albus opposite her at the breakfast table, though, looking so uncomfortable under the stares of Scorpius and Ramona who were clearly expecting him to say something, was making her day a bit better.

Albus cleared his throat, trained his gaze on his plate as he spoke in a murmur, "Happy Valentine's day, I guess."

Ramona scoffed at the wish while Scorpius let out a small sigh that could only express disappointment. Jane, on the other hand, was grinning as she looked over at Albus.

"Happy Valentine's to you too, even though I know you're only saying that because Scorpius and Ramona want you to."

Ramona huffed, "He can do whatever he wants, he's his own person-"

"I understand you still hate this holiday just as much as I do," Jane continued, her smile widening somewhat. "Judging by the haunted look in your eyes as you entered, I imagine the day hasn't started well."

"If only you knew," he moaned, his elbows banging against the table as he hid his face in his hands. "I almost missed the door to the Great Hall with how much I was looking at the floor to avoid any horrifying scenes."

Jane chuckled as Scorpius rolled his eyes, "Why are you so dramatic?"

"You are one to talk," Albus sent him a look.

"No one in this group can complain about the other being dramatic," Ramona agreed, "we are all unbearable."

Scorpius huffed, "I beg to differ."

"You've turned huffier ever since you got a boyfriend."

"And you've gotten annoying," he narrowed his eyes at Albus after sending a quick glare at Ramona and Jane who dared to laugh at his expanse. "Just you wait until Carter makes a move on Jane today, we'll see who will be huffy then."

Albus's glare would have killed Scorpius on the spot if it could. "What did you just say?"

"Don't pay attention to him, Albus," Jane reached forward to grasp his hand and gave it a little squeeze. "Even if he does try anything, you know I'll shut him down."

"Of course I know," he mumbled, "I just-"

"You're just jealous?" Ramona supplied.

Albus pursed his lips, "That's not-"

"You don't like having people messing with what's yours?" Scorpius wiggled his brows.

Albus scowled as Jane trained her gaze on Scorpius, "Be quiet."

"Fine, I'm going, I've got to go to the greenhouses anyway," he chuckled as he stood up, his lips stretched into a wide smile. "Have fun at Arithmancy, I'll see you later!"