Two

It was a boring meeting, filled with briefings and rules Jane had already heard and had enforced for the duration of the year. She had been good at what she had been doing, as she always strived to be, and so, it came as no surprise she remembered everything.

Across from her, Scorpius, a boy with platinum blond hair and absolutely stunning grey eyes—actually, if Jane was going to be truthful, he was stunning in general and it wasn't just because of his eyes—seemed to be in a similar situation, already being aware of his duties as a Prefect. They had been a great pair last year—the most successful pair of Prefects in the school—and at their peak of boredom, Jane and Scorpius started making faces at each other while the Head Prefects weren't looking, bringing a few of the other Prefects to smile and crack up, but whenever the Head Prefects looked up, both of them were the picture of perfection and elegance—Scorpius appearing attentive, nodding at just the right time when they spoke, Jane appearing regal with her cat in her lap looking around the compartment with her stunning gold eyes—they gave them the impression they really believed this meeting was important. The Head Prefects didn't suspect a thing in the hours the meeting took place. And when the meeting ended, Jane and Scorpius wished the Head Prefects a good day before walking away, first Jane with her cat in her arms and then Scorpius, sliding the door closed behind them. She waited for him by the door and they walked together to the end of the train. Their silence lasted only a few seconds.

"When I become Head Girl next year, if I can't make the meeting interesting, I'll make sure everyone pays attention."

Scorpius was turning to face her with a smirk in seconds. "And how are you planning to accomplish that, great Jane Gibbs? Are you going to set Cleopatra on them if they don't cooperate?"

The cat moved closer to Jane in her arms as the girl looked up with a wicked smile. "That's a plan I didn't think of. My idea actually included you paying attention and reporting everything to me while I did the same as you briefed the Prefects on their duties."

His smirk widened. "The way you say it I'd think you're insinuating I'll be Head Boy next year."

"That's exactly what I'm insinuating and you better be Head Boy, Malfoy-" she knocked her hip against his,"- you're the only one I can work with without the situation being draining."

"I'm touched."

"As you should be."

Scorpius let out a small laugh as he looked down at her. "I'll see you later, then?"

She nodded, "Yeah, I'm going to go back to Ramona and the others. We could always sit close to each other during the feast."

"I don't know, Jane," he admitted as he came to a stop beside a door. "I don't have an issue with you obviously or Ramona but Annabeth and Charlotte aren't people I'd like to be close with."

"I understand-"

"On the other hand, Philip might disagree with me," he mused with a shrug. "You know what, we'll decide something on the spot."

"Fine by me," she called out, and with a brief wave, she walked away. Scorpius opened the door of the compartment behind him and got in, sliding it closed the moment he was inside. At once, he smelled smoke, and instictivelly, he looked around for the source, but there was none. In his search his eyes fell over the two boys sitting on one side of the compartment, Philip and Marcus, before he turned to the boy sitting in the other side of the compartment, looking outside without making a sound. He sat down next to him.

"Hey, Albus."

Albus looked away from the window, his emerald eyes appearing dull as he mumbled something incomprehensible under his breath and ran a hand through his dark hair. Scorpius turned to him with a raised eyebrow and as he did, he caught a wiff of smoke. Quickly, he looked around the space, his eyes narrowing on the few traces of ash left on the windowsill. He slowly dragged his eyes away.