Seventeen

With Christmas holidays barely two weeks away, all Professors seemed to have decided to assign more homework than usual as they attempted to do a revision before the students were to leave so they wouldn't forget any of the material they had taught them during the term. As a result, Jane had ended up spending more time in the library than she spent in her own dormitory sleeping. Thankfully, she wasn't always alone.

On most days she had company and this specific day she was accompanied by Ramona and Louis who had been surprisingly obedient once she had asked them to keep any public displays of affection to a minimum. Except from that one kiss in the start when they had first met—that was before she had applied the rule about their affection—they had been quiet as they studied, holding hands above the table all the while but still being respectful. She had expected Louis to be more talkative but it seemed that the added homework and the pressure as his NEWTs came closer had made him change his mind and be a hardworking student for once.

In these last few days, Jane hardly managed to see Ramona except if they were studying, which to them wasn't much. Between classes, homework, her Prefect duties, the choir and the Quidditch practice Jane hardly had any time to see her and the same could be said for all of her friends, even though they weren't many. The time for the two of them to catch up ended up being a few minutes before any class they shared started and the little time they had during meals that was becoming increasingly less as Ramona sometimes left the Slytherin table to join Louis at the Ravenclaw table. Long story short, Jane was looking forward to the break so she would be able to see her friends more.

Her studies came first, though. And so, she kept quiet even though Ramona was just opposite her and she could easily talk to her, choosing to focus on her studies. She had been doing a great job so far. Until the two unoccupied seats on either side of her were suddenly occupied and she looked up only to see Scorpius on her right and Albus on her left.

"You're being awfully quiet," Albus murmured as he looked around the table and Louis instantly smiled as he nodded.

"I know, but it's not like we can do any different. Exams are close."

"You will do fine," Ramona comforted him with a small, endearing smile, "you're studying hard, you can do it."

"In the end of the day, you'll have done your best," Scorpius added helpfully before he turned to Jane. "I talked to my Aunt. She's going to pick us up from my home a day after we arrive."

"And the ball is-"

"That same day."

"What if we don't find clothes that are good enough?"

"We will, we have all day," he assured her, "there's no need to worry. You know my Aunt. She likes you anyway."

"I never had her buy me a dress before, though."

"This again?" Ramona let out a small sigh as she looked over at Jane. "I thought we had talked about this."

"Yes, this isn't my Aunt's doing, it's mine, a gift from me to you," Scorpius pointed out out with a smile. "Get over it. I always give gifts to the people I love."

"Not that expensive, I hope, or else you'll go bankrupt."

His smile widened, "I don't love many people."

"How are you not reacting yet?" Albus groaned as he looked from Jane to Scorpius and back. "This is getting ridiculously sweet. If I hadn't known any better I'd say you like her, Scorpius."

"So you know better?" Louis perked up as Scorpius rolled his eyes. "Who does Scorpius like?"

"No one," Ramona, Jane and Albus replied at once, the three of them sharing a smile as Louis's eyes widened. Ramona cleared her throat. "There's a rather cute Hufflepuff I could introduce you to if you want-"