S I X T E E N

"Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outrage mission in Lagos when the attack occurred..."  Wanda was watching the news sitting at the end of Lexi's bed. She would take a few looks at the asleep brunette every once in a while but her major concentration was on the words said on the TV. "What legal authority do enhanced individuals like Wanda Maximoff and Alexandra Stark have to offer into Nigeria..."

Steve turned the TV off and walked inside the room. "It's my fault". Wanda said knowing Steve was there. "Don't say that". "Turned the TV back on, they're being very specific". "I should've clocked that bomb long before you had to deal with it. Rumlo said Bucky and... all of the sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again in Brooklyn. People died. It's on me". "But I shouldn't have been there... I should have been with her. And I left her alone while she was in pain".

"Don't say that". "But is the truth. She's been there for me and the first second she needs help I leave her alone". "This job...we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. Sometimes it means that we have to leave our own behind. And if we can't find a way to live with that, next time...maybe nobody gets saved". He said sincerely.

All of a sudden Vision faced the wall and into the room, making the witch and the captain jump. "Vis, we talked about this". "Yes, but the door was opened, so I assumed..." He stopped himself. "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was available". "Thank you, I'll be right down". "I'll... Use the door. Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest". "How is it?". "The Secretary of State". 

———————————————————————

Lexi opened her eyes slowly. Her room was dark due to the black windows. The clock on her ceiling indicated that it was a little bit after lunch. She had a slight headache pinching her head but nothing she couldn't handle. She stood up from the bed and walked outside her room. 

The halls were as empty as the kitchen and the living room. She looked for anyone she could find in the next halls until she bumped against Steve. "Careful there!" He caught her before she could even fall back to the ground. "What are you doing up? You should be in bed". "It was cold" She softly said. Her voice coming as strong as it could. 

"Lexi-". "Where is everybody?" She interrupted. Steve hugged her waist and helped her walk towards the room where the Avengers were. "How long have I been out?" She asked. "About a month". The Avengers stood up as soon as the two walked into the room. 

Wanda ran towards her and hugged her as Steve let go. He let her in the arms of the European and left the room. Lexi gently hugged Wanda back as the girl was whispering things to her in Sokovian. She let go of Lexi and was followed hug by Tony.

After all the Avengers hugged her they sat down as they were before. Wanda gave Lexi her chair as ran her fingers through the brunette's hair. "We're not giving up, we just need a break," Tony said. "That's not a break, Tony". Sam said. "Break from what?" Lexi's voice came out strong. Nat gave her a brief explanation as Vision handled the Sokovian accords. 

The Avengers decided to leave the conversation and they left the room, only leaving Nat, Sam, Wanda and Lexi. Tony kissed her head and left calling Pepper. "How are you feeling?" Nat asked. "I'm okay". "You slept for a month and you're okay?" Sam asked. Lexi shrugged her shoulders looking away from the big book. "That's how I'm feeling".

"Lexi, you didn't happen to have another hidden power do you?" Nat asked. Lexi gently shook her head with confusion. "No...". The three Avengers looked between them. "Why?". "Friday, play the video," Nat asked. The hologram turned on and it showed Lexi on Lagos on the floor. She was holding her head and after a few seconds, a scream came out of her. A yellow explosion followed behind her scream destroying everything around her. 

She stood up and walked a few meters pushing people away before her body gave up and she fell to the floor unconscious. The hologram faded and the three adults looked at her "I don't remember that happening" She said. The older Avengers looked between each other before leaving the room. 

"You scared me, ангел¹". "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to". Wanda passed her arms from her shoulders to her chest and kissed her head. "It's okay. You're here". "What happened in Lagos?". Wanda let go of the hug and sat down next to her, not really wanting to talk about it. 

Lexi waited for her answer but when it never came she tried to read her mind. She squeezed her eyes when the pain pinched her head harder and stopped her from doing anything."You okay?". "I think going to bed doesn't sound so bad now". 

Wanda gave her a small smile and helped her stand up. They walked back to the brunette's room where the owner laid on her bed. "Do you need anything?". Lexi shook her head. "Do you want to take a nap?". "I think I've slept too much. But I won't mind If you watch a movie with me". She smiled. "Let it be a sitcom and I'll say yes". 

"Ahh, of course. Little witch is obsessed with sitcoms. How could I forget?" She chuckled. "I'm not a witch" Wanda smiled walking towards her bed. "I don't know about that. You kinda are, and a very cute one may I add". 

The Sokovian chuckled and laid beside the brunette, taking her into her arms. Lexi rested her head on her shoulder and passed her arms around her waist. Wanda passed her fingers through her hair as they started to watch the sitcom. 

Both girls ignored the show that played on the TV as they allow their thoughts to take control of their minds. Lexi's thoughts went over the resume that Nat made to her about the Sokovian accords while Wanda's took a very different path. 

And they were about the brunette that was lying in her arms. 

———————————————————————

¹ангел: Angel.