T W E N T Y - S E V E N

——————————————————————

4 months later

——————————————————————

"Are you sure you'll be fine?". Steve asked. "We will" Wanda nodded as Nat sighed not really sure about their decision. "Stay close, check-in and don't take any chances" Nat demanded as she hugged them. "Please be safe". "We will" Lexi nodded corresponding to the hug. Steve hugged her once Nat broke the hug.  

"If you need anything just call". He asked as they broke the hug. Lexi nodded and Steve kissed her head before stepping away. "Oh! Lexi" Nat called her reaching into her bag. "Your father sends you this" She handled a white and small box before leaving the apartment. Lexi opened it to find a black mug with golden stars.

"Are you sure you don't need anything?" She asked with a smile taking her gaze away from the new mug. Wanda shook her head. "I'll take a shower then. Maybe we can order some food?" Lexi left the mug on the table and left the room not waiting for Wanda's answer.  She turned the water on and walked inside the shower as she contemplated the idea of telling Wanda what was happening. And what had happened before.

She should have told her about the red and yellow clouds she saw before the accidents happened. The idea of not knowing gave her a feeling of anguish she didn't know how to control. And she hated it. 

She stepped out and stood in front of the mirror looking at the veins of her arms. She created a small ball of purple energy on one of her hands. It took more than she thought, and more tries than she wanted. But she was able to create a yellow ball of energy in her other hand. Both energies moved like they were on a dance. It was amazing. 

The strands began to call each other, slowly moving to hold hands. Once they reached each other the yellow ball took over the purple one. And explored once it completely overcome it. Her back hit the wall and the mirror broke into a million pieces. She covered her face to prevent the glass from hitting her face but getting multiple pieces into her arm. "What did just happen!?. Lexi!?". "It's nothing!" She yelled knowing Wanda was going to kill her. She broke the bathroom on their first day. 

Steps sounded close to the bathroom as Lexi moved her hands to restore the room. The door opened wide just as she finished. "What did you do?". "Nothing". Wanda looked around the room as Lexi hid her arm. "Just taking a bath".

"Explosion sounds don't come from a bath" She squeezed her eyes not believing the brunette. "It's nothing... Really" Lexi smiled with no intention as she tried to leave the room. "Nothing?" Lexi shook her head. "If it's nothing why are you bleeding?". 

"I'm what?" She turned to look at the Sokovian confused as the woman had her arms crossed. She pointed at the brunette's arm where multiple dots were growing not so slow. "Shit". "Oh, I'm glad it was nothing".  She took her hand and pulled her into the closest room. She threw some clothes at her as she looked for the first aid kit. 

"Did you... umm... Did you order food?". "Lex, we don't have money for that". "I could... Get some" She looked at her. "It's fine I'll... Just give me a few hours. I'll get some". "I don't want you stealing". She said stopping and looking at the woman in front of her as her accent grew thicker and heavier. "I won't. I'll take some cash out of the credit card and I'll buy food. I won't steal anything". "Are you sure that's a good idea?". 

She used her magic to take the glass off her arm before starting to cover her cuts. "Yeah, it's fine. My dad won't really know where we are and if he does... He won't tell anything". " I still don't think is a good idea". "Could you just trust me!?" Wanda looked at her confused. Lexi didn't mean to yell at her, but without her knowing when she created the yellow energy she allowed it to take over her. "I trust you". "Then stop asking!".

"What happened?". "What do you mean?". "You're acting different" She bandaged her arm undeterred upon hearing Lexi yelled at her. "And you're blocking me out". "Well, private thoughts are called private for a reason" She pulled her arm away from the brunette and stepping out to get a shirt. 

"What is going on!?... черт побери¹, Lexi! Just talk to me!" She screamed as she followed her. "Please, Lexi just... Just talk to me!" She begged. "What do you want me to tell you!? How I am!? I'm fine!". The energy was taking over her and making her act without her knowing. It was taking over her mind and slowly, it was clouding it. "But you're not! You're anxious and anguished all the time. Since all of this started. Since Lagos, you've been feeling different. I want to help you" She softly said taking Lexi's hands. "Let me help you... Let me bring the old Lexi back". 

"What if you can never have her?" She asked. "What if I can never be like I was before these powers?". "I know that I will have her back... I need to" Her voice cracked as she looked at the floor. Lexi pulled away instead of hugging the woman. "Why?" Her voice hard on the Sokovian. "Why do you need her back?".

"Because she's the one that's keeping me from drowning" She sighed. "Because my life has been a disaster since my parents died. And since Pietro died my life doesn't have meaning anymore". "You're an Avenger. That makes you have meaning in the world".  Wanda sighed trying to contain her anger towards the hard tone of the brunette. 

"That's not what I meant". "I don't see your point" Lexi crossed her arms and tried to leave the room. Wanda's eyes turned red as red strands stopped Lexi from keep moving. "Can I continue?" She asked as her accent came out. "I don't care about anything you have to say". Wanda rolled her eyes and stepped away frustrated. "I don't want to hear you. Isn't that enough!?".

"Is that really what you want? To leave?" Lexi didn't answer. She walked towards the couch and sat down. "Talk". "I don't want you to be like that". She said sitting next to her. Lexi sighed and looked at her calmly. "Go ahead" She softly said. "Continue". "Since the moment Pietro died I knew my life wasn't going to be the same. How could it? I lost one of the last persons that were important to me. That only left you, Lex". "Oh, how romantic" Wanda took a deep breath. "When Sokovia was dropping from the sky I was relieved to be there because I thought that I was gonna be able to finish all that pain". "But vision saved you". Lexi said. 

"And I hated him for it. I hated him because he had to act as a goddam hero and save me from something I didn't want to be saved from. But as days went by I realized that if I left with him you would have been alone. And that idea hurt more than anything. I couldn't leave you, so I stayed". "Well, thank you". Lexi rolled her eyes as Wanda ignored her. 

 "Then time went by and I realized that you never needed me, Lex. All that time I was the one who needed you. And you were always there for me. You were my ангел-хранитель². You still are. And when we were in the raft I realized that I cared for you more than I knew it. Lexi, you have become so important to me. I don't know what I would have done if I lost you". 

"Why are you telling me this just now?". "Because... Because I love you. And everything that I love dies. I don't want that fate for you". Lexi squeezed her eyes when a stabbing pain hit her temples. Her eyes glowed yellow for a minute before disappearing to her normal green. "Hey, are you okay?" Wanda quickly moved in front of the brunette and held her face softly between her hands as she stared at her eyes. 

"You love me". "I do... It's completely fine if you don't Lexi, I-". Within seconds a million thoughts went through the brunette's mind, but they made it all clear that to stop the pain her solution was in front of her. And it was Wanda. "Kiss me". She ordered. "What?". "Kiss me". "Lexi, I can't ki-". Lexi rolled her eyes with a small smile before pushing her body forward and connected her lips with the Sokovian.

———————————————————————

¹черт побери: Damn it. 
² ангел-хранитель: Guardian angel.