Chapter 12 - Twenty Questions? No Shit

Leo and Nichole were creepy today.

     More than creepy, actually. They matched the expressions of those confined in mental institutes - those wide open eyes seeming as if they just saw something new to play with, those even wider grins that'd beat a Cheshire cat's any day, and those maniacal laughs serial killers make before they slaughter their next victim.

     Stop for a moment and imagine their faces, please. It's horrible. Horrible.

     But the thing worse than the looks on their faces was the information they managed to get.

     Hint: Brandon's neck.

     It didn't take a genius to figure out what had happened to it. The mark on his skin was obviously not just an insect bite. And it was also clear who had done it.

       "Miraa," Leo sang my name as Nichole teasingly combed my hair with her fingers. This was so scary. They were so scary.

     I'm admitting it. So that's saying something.

       "Yeah?" I stifled a gulp. Leo snickered before joining his girlfriend play with my hair.

       "Brandon was glowing yesterday. What'd you guys do?" He already knew the answer to that. He just wanted to make fun of me. This brat.

       "Wouldn't you like to know," I mumbled. Then I swatted their hands off my hair. Nichole giggled.

       "Did you violate any rules now?"

     I shook my head casually, trying my best to act natural. I hated it when people see me get flustered. "No. It didn't last for more than ten minutes."

       "What didn't last, Mira?" Leo asked again, this time, his tone was in a sing-song voice and I held back to urge to slap him.

       "The session." I simply said.

     The stupid couple also known as my best friends gave each other knowing grins before they sent me looks of approval.

       "Good job." They chorused, both giving me a thumbs up.

     I honestly think I did a pretty bad job.

       "Would you guys cut it out?" I told them, my words sounded like a long groan. "We were just messing around. You know it's because of the game. If it weren't for the game, I wouldn't have made any moves."

     It was natural for me to say something like that, but when I did, I felt like I've been pricked in the chest. Weird body.

       "Of course," Nichole said, not serious at all. She knew. She knew I was just saving face. She was my best friend, of course she knew.

     Leo poked my cheek. "You know it's not about the game anymore. You like him, don't you?"

       "What?" I can't believe he just said that. "No. Leo no. I'm serious in this game. You know me."

       "Yeah, I do know you," he replied. "And I know Brandon too. I know you two like each other and you're just making the game an excuse. What I don't know is why you're even making an excuse."

     I shook my head frantically. He was wrong. He was just so wrong. I didn't like Brandon. I was attracted to his looks, yeah, and he was kinda sweet at times, but that doesn't mean I liked him.

       "You watch way too many dramas with Nichole," I said. "Leo, I don't like him, and he doesn't like me in that way. We're just playing."