2

The silence that followed after the door slammed shut was suffocating.

My eyes lingered on the spot where Elijah had just been, and his words marked themselves into my head. I heard them on repeat, and every time, the meaning behind what he'd just said to me hit me harder.

And as much as I hated admitting it, I was hurt.

What he'd said had hurt and it was the type of feeling that sent my stomach churning with nausea. They were words that I had never thought I would hear coming from my brother. I knew he was reckless and he didn't care about who he hurt when he said the things that he did, but I didn't ever think he'd say something so awful to my face.

Something that he knew would hurt me, and that was why he'd said it. In a way, it related to my fear of being a burden everywhere I went, and he'd shut me out completely. He'd told me that I was dead to him and now, he wanted nothing to do with me.

Once again, he'd made himself the victim. He'd disowned me as if I'd done something wrong in leaving.

"Izzy?"

In a daze, my gaze shifted over to Sophia who was approaching me quietly. Her eyes were soft and I wondered if I looked as horrible as I felt. I wondered if the heartbreak was clear on my face because I felt it cracking inside my chest.

I swallowed hard and looked around, realizing all eyes were on me. Everyone looked concerned and it became too much, so I averted my gaze.

My eyes were stinging and a painful lump had formed in my throat, but I forced the tears back. I was already humiliated enough by what he'd said, I didn't need everyone to know that I cared as much as I did.

Feelings hurt and I hated every single one I felt.

"It's okay," I whispered, breaking the tense silence. "He didn't mean it."

Deep down, I had a feeling he did.

Sophia stayed quiet, and I hesitantly looked behind her to see Julian watching me. He had no pity or sympathy in his eyes, so it made it easier to hold his gaze. I didn't know what he saw on my face that made him act, but he was moving after he took one glance at me.

My heart was stuck in my throat as he approached me calmly, and took my hand. He didn't bother explaining to anyone else where we were going as he pulled me along with him.

I vaguely realized he'd pulled me out of the hotel room and into the corridor, shutting the door after us softly. He pulled me to stand in front of him, but I refused to look away from his collar, locking my jaw tight as I held in tears. He was becoming blurry in front of me, so I knew I was failing horribly.

"It's okay to cry," he began quietly, and his first words to me made me look up at him. Julian brought one hand up to run it through my hair, tucking it behind my ear. "I know you were holding it in because you didn't want them to see."

"I hate him," I croaked, and didn't bother wiping away the stream as it started flowing down my cheeks. "I hate him so much, Julian."

He held my gaze wordlessly before he reached forward and pulled me into his arms. "I know," he murmured and I broke.

He held me for I didn't know how long, and his shoulder had become soaked by now, but he didn't seem to mind.

"I hate him," I cried and Julian tightened his arms around me, not saying a single word. I hated Elijah so much. I never did anything to deserve all that he said to me, and yet he never cared.

I didn't know how much time passed until he spoke against my hair. "You know, I was expecting him to be pretty awful from what you'd told me, but fucking hell," he breathed, chuckling a little. "That was something else."