7

The same night, I was just coming in from the patio, when the garage opened and Elijah stormed inside.

My heart instantly stopped dead in my chest when his eyes found mine and he made his way over to me. Fear had me halting by the door as I wrapped my blanket tighter around myself, holding back every urge to run. His gaze was wild, as if he was angry about something but that was an all time occurrence for him, so it wasn't surprising.

The way he'd barged inside told me that something was wrong. So, so wrong and I had a feeling it had to do with the detectives that had just visited. I had a feeling that I'd said the wrong thing.

"What did you tell them?" Elijah asked calmly, stopping across the kitchen, so he wasn't directly in front of me yet. I stepped back until my back was pressed against the glass doors.

I frowned. "What?"

"The detectives, Izzy. What did you tell them?"

Ice cold fear rushed through my veins. "Nothing. They just told me to tell you that they needed to talk to you. I didn't say anything."

Elijah stepped around the dining table, and starting making his way over to me. "Oh, really?" He countered. "If you didn't say anything, then tell me why they showed up at one of my clubs claiming they were told that I was at work?"

I stilled as I realized that was what I'd said. I didn't think it had been a problem because I'd been vague, but maybe I'd led them to an answer they were looking for. I'd given them a reason, a motive to go looking for Elijah where their suspicions might have been.

"They probably already knew you were there, Elijah," I said. "I didn't tell them anything."

His face was impassive as he came to a stop right in front of me. I held eye contact, even though I wanted to look away.

"I'll ask you again; what did you tell them?" He said so quietly, I gulped. "Izzy, look me in the eye and tell me the truth."

"I am telling the truth," I snapped back, glaring up at him. "I don't know what else you want me to say."

Elijah's next action surprised me. His hand came up to grip my jaw when I tried looking away. My hands instantly shot up to his wrist as I tried to pry it off, wincing when he tightened his hold. "Elijah," I bit out, trying to push his hand away. "That hurts."

"Did you tell them about what I do?" He asked flatly, ignoring my attempts to make him let go of me. I winced in pain again, my eyes pooling with water at the discomfort of his hold.

"Let go of me," I croaked, digging my nails into his wrist to inflict some sort of pain that would be enough for him to finally come to his senses and let go. "That hurts, Elijah."

And it did hurt. His fingers were digging into my skin, and I was sure that he was going to leave bruises behind from how hard he was holding my chin.

"I'll give you one last chance," he murmured, and I recognized nothing human in his eyes. It was like he wasn't in control of his emotions and it made me realize that Elijah was losing control.

In more ways than one. Things were starting to slip from his hold and the rest of us were paying the price. He was changing more and more with every day that came; surprising everyone in ways we never expected. Becoming more impulsive, more reckless and more wild.

"Do you understand what will happen to all of us if I'm locked up?" He continued, ignoring my pleads. "Do you get that it's gonna end badly for every single person in this family?"

Panicked tears sprung to my eyes as I twisted in his hold. "That hurts," I whispered, and it seemed to break him out of some trance.

Elijah instantly let go of me, backing up a step. He blinked a few times as he took me in and my hands immediately shot up to cradle my jaw which was throbbing.