4

The first person who recovered from what we'd just witnessed was Sophia.

She jumped into action and grabbed the landline. With my heart in my throat, I watched her every move as she dialed a number that I knew by heart because I'd used it so much.

Sophia's hands were shaking as she pressed the call button and brought the phone to her ear. I quickly jerked forward and motioned for her to put it on speaker because I wanted to hear what he said. Even if I hated him now.

Elijah picked up right when I thought he wouldn't.

"I told you not to call me – "

Sophia cut him off before he could finish his sentence. "Lucas was here."

There was silence on the other end of the call. We both waited anxiously for his reaction.

"What?"

Sophia briefly closed her eyes. "Lucas – he was here. He broke in," she continued, her voice steady despite the trembling that took over her body. "He took – he took Elena."

"Why would you open the door?" Elijah asked flatly and my heart sunk at the slur behind his words.

He was drunk. Distantly, in the background I heard pounding music playing and deep laughter which probably meant that he was at a club. He was in no state to care now. Not that he ever was, but this was worse.

Sophia's eyebrows furrowed as she stared down at the phone. "Are you fucking kidding me?" She exclaimed, rage underlying her voice. "Did you hear what I said? He broke in and took Elena."

"How's that my problem?" Elijah replied simply, and I heard more male laughter in the background. It sounded familiar.

Sophia's lips parted in disbelief at the phone. "Elijah, do you hear yourself? What the fuck is wrong with you? You realize this affects us all, right? Everything is ruined now."

"Yeah," he chuckled lowly. "For you."

I frowned as I glanced between the phone and Sophia. My sister looked shocked at everything that came out of his mouth, but I'd expected worse. I doubted he'd care anyways.

"What are you trying to say then?" Sophia asked incredulously, gripping the phone tighter. "He took her and you're not going to help find her?"

I heard a frustrated sigh over the phone and shuffling. Moments later, a door slammed shut and the background noise faded away. Elijah spoke again. "Why should I help you?"

Sophia didn't respond, and she looked genuinely taken back by his words. I figured that he'd never dismissed her like this.

Elijah broke the silence again. "Call the police."

Sophia let out a bitter laugh. "Makes perfect sense. They're going to help so much, right?"

Elijah scoffed. "I don't know what you want me to tell you, Soph."

Sophia stared down at the device for a few seconds before she visibly swallowed hard. "Tell me you'll find her. Or at least try to do something."

"No."

"No?" Sophia repeated quietly.

"I'm not risking our lives again to find a woman I don't give a fuck about. She'll be fine. He won't kill her," Elijah told us flatly and my heart twisted at the dull tone. "And quite honestly, even if he does, there's nothing I can do about it nor do I care."

Sophia's jaw tightened. "Do you understand what he's going to do to her?"

Elijah sounded sober when he answered. "I'm sorry, Sophia, but I can't help you. There's too much at risk."