21

It was close to dawn when Elijah and I finally got home. He'd led the way using his other car, while I drove behind him with the one I'd brought to Mariam's house.

I hadn't had the energy to say too much to him when we walked inside in silence because my eyes were barely staying open, so I'd muttered a quick good night and dragged myself straight to bed.

I spent the entire day sleeping, not even getting up to eat or drink anything. Exhaustion weighed down my very bones from the draining day we'd all had, and I was content with just staying in bed forever, never having to get up.

It was the next night when I finally woke up. I knew my sleeping schedule was destroyed since I slept more during the days than nights, but there was nothing I could do about it now. Wrapping my blanket around myself, I decided to head downstairs to see what was happening because I heard voices, so I knew everyone was awake. I knew I had to get ready soon too, because Julian had texted me to come over, and I had said yes.

The first person I saw was Kaiden in the living room. I did a double take at first, not believing my eyes, but he looked over at me and I realized he'd arrived home earlier than he was supposed to. Elijah sat on the opposite couch, and I suddenly had a flashback to the night I'd left town of when the three of us had spent time together after what seemed like years.

The two looked like they were having a serious conversation from the way they were speaking quietly, and I had a feeling Elijah was telling him about the day before. I knew he'd be vague to avoid bringing up Elena, so I didn't know how exactly he was managing. I wrapped my blanket tighter around myself and took slow steps forward.

"You're back early," I pointed out as I approached, my voice almost gone. I had a feeling I was going to lose it entirely for a few days.

Kaiden moved over so I could take a seat next to him. He smiled, but I didn't fail to notice how it looked forced as he studied me. "Yeah, I worked quick," he replied, his voice lower than usual. I noticed how the entire room had a somber atmosphere. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

My eyes jumped over to Elijah at the question who looked like he was also waiting for a response.

I didn't know how to answer that, so I shrugged in response. "Where's Caleb?" I suddenly questioned.

"Ethan took him somewhere," Elijah spoke up, his voice raspy as if he was losing it, too. I wondered if he'd even slept at all. At my curious expression, he explained. "He took him to see someone who can help. They'll be back tomorrow." I didn't know who he could be talking about, but Caleb had been at his lowest, and I was glad Ethan was looking after him.

It went silent for a few moments, before Kaiden spoke up. "You should've called me," he told Elijah, his voice deep. He whipped his dark gaze back up to Elijah, his hand tightening around the glass in his hands. I blinked. "I would've come home right away." There was a flicker of anger in his tone and I tensed as I realized an argument was looming ahead of us.

Elijah shook his head briefly, running a hand down the side of his jaw in a tired motion. "Don't start now, Kaiden," he spoke quietly, as if he didn't have the energy to even speak. "I don't have time for this. You're here now, that's all that matters."

Kaiden must have sensed the same in Elijah's tone, so he backed off.

The silence that followed was tense, and I suddenly needed to break it, so I spoke. "Where'd you go?" I asked and Kaiden glanced over at me. "I know what you were doing but where?"