16

I was still coughing up water as Julian and I got out. He was smiling as he pulled himself out first, and then reached a hand out for me to grab. My teeth chattered from the temperature we'd just fallen into as he yanked me out. My legs had gone numb from the cold, even though we'd barely been submerged in the lake.

Julian laughed as I immediately went into his arms, wrapping mine around him, trying to steal his warmth. "You okay?" He asked, rubbing his hands up and down my back and I placed my head on his shoulder.

"I'm wearing white," my voice shook as another shiver tore through me, my teeth chattering again. Sure enough, when I looked down, my entire top had turned see through.

Julian's eyes glinted. "I can see that," he said, and I rolled my eyes, letting go.

"I should go home, " I began. "It's getting late." And sure enough, the sun was starting to set. I looked around, and saw that everyone who'd been at the lake had left.

Julian nodded. "I'll drive you," he said.

"Is it okay if I get the seat wet?" I asked, gesturing to my clothes because I was dripping water. There was nothing to dry off with.

Julian's lips twitched in amusement and I scoffed, figuring out where his head had gone. "Before you get mad," he defended, smiling. "Just know that it's taking all my control right now not to say what I'm thinking, so you should be proud of me."

I shook my head. "Okay, we're leaving now," I hummed, ignoring him and he was still smiling as I pushed my hands into his back, starting to drag him forward by force. Julian reached back and grabbed my hand, pulling me to stand next to him as we walked.

Not a moment of silence passed between us during the car ride back to my place. He was familiar with directions since he'd been there a few times by now. When we reached my neighborhood, I pulled the hoodie he'd lended me on, savoring the warmth and comfort of it. I had a feeling I wouldn't be giving it back. I also had a feeling he wouldn't mind.

I spotted my house in the close distance, and sighed when I saw that everyone was at home because every car was there even though the driveway had been empty in the morning.

Julian drove into my driveway, hitting the brakes before he hit Kaiden's car. He glanced over at me and I grabbed my stuff, looking over at him. "I'll see you soon," I said, getting ready to get out.

He nodded, but didn't say a word. I shut the door after I got out and went to walk in, but his voice had me halting as he opened the passenger side window. "Isa, wait."

"Yeah?"

"You should start leaving your window open."

I blinked. "Why?" He raised his eyebrows in response, and I mentally face palmed myself, closing my eyes. "Never mind, I got it," I quickly corrected, my face warming up.

He chuckled, his eyes sparkling with happiness and the sight had my own chest easing a little. "I'll surprise you," he said, and before I could ask what that meant, he backed out. I lingered on the driveway for a few moments, watching his car drive off and disappear at the end of the road before I turned and made my way inside.

Ethan and Caleb were in the living room, watching some game that I had no interest in. None of them paid me a single glance as I stepped inside, throwing off my flip flops before walking further in.

I was suddenly in the mood for pizza, so I decided I'd make one as I strolled straight for the kitchen.

I'd just taken out all the ingredients when I heard footsteps. Ethan came into the kitchen, but I'd barely looked up before he was throwing his arm around my neck, making me flinch as I stumbled into him in surprise.