Chapter one - Dragon eggs

Holly

The first of september has arrived. I looked into the hallway mirror and tried to calm my nerves, failing miserably. I checked my handbag one last time, assuring myself that I had brought everything I may need. Gum, a few sickles and galleons, chapstick, my new book and my wand, My mother had insisted that I would keep it in my handbag instead of my luggage, it still felt horribly awkward that a stick would be the source of any magic. Or that magic existed at all. And that I would have to carry it at all times, what on earth happened if i lost it?

More anxiety started to grow in the pit of my stomach. Thankfully my mother honked the horn of the car and pulled me out of my worrying. I grabbed my trunk and went out to the car.

***

"Promise me you will write, and be safe, and remember to do your homework, and don't lose your wand, and.." my mother rambled before I cut her off.

"Mother, I promise you I will stay safe, and do my homework okay?" I assured her.

"Im sorry Holly,, it's just.. You're my only one, you know that right? I love you," she pulled me into a hug before I could scold her for crying for the fourth time today.

"I love you too mother, I will miss you terribly." I tried to keep the panic down and hold the tears back, for her sake.

"Oh dear, it's 10:56, you must go, I'll take care of your luggage. Good luck sweetheart!" She carefully wiped her eyes and waved me off. I smiled at her and made my way to the true red colored train, stepping onto the step into the train, looked back and waved at my mother for the last time before heading into the train.

The train was already filled with students, not many in my age. I hated walking through the train alone, trying to find a seat. I felt a light tap on my shoulder and almost let out a squeak in chock.

"You seem lost, come sit with me!" A girl's voice spoke behind me, I turned around to face a blonde girl with clear grey eyes and a friendly smile.

Caught off by the strangers' kind offer I took seating on the hard bench across from the intriguing girl who seemed all too friendly.

"I could not help but notice your handbag, I have the exact same one!" She pointed to hers on top of the shelf above her head. I smiled at the odd coincidence and her sense for detail that she noticed it.

"What a coincidence, did you inherit yours too?" I asked the girl who adjusted her barrette holding her swept bangs in place on the side of her head. It occured to me that our hair was the exact same color. That and the bag, odd coincidence. 

"In fact I did, it's passed down in my family. Isn't it cool? It can keep as much stuff you want in it without ever being full or getting heavy," the girl exclaimed and looked at me.

I actually did not know any of that, but to my defence I found out about magic and all this hocus pocus last week so could you blame me?

I gave the girl a forced smile and nodded, quickly wanting to change the subject.

"So what wand did you get?" I asked her.

"Well, it's made out of aspen and dragon heartstrings that was twelve and a half inches long, and surprisingly pliable. How about yours?"

"I got a dogwood wood with a phoenix feather core, 13 ¼" and slightly springy flexibility," I blushed realizing mine was bigger than hers, afraid she would find me weird.

"I love phoenixes! I'm so jealous, I find dragons rather scary, not that i have ever met one, well, i haven't met a phoenix either but i believe they are kinder than dragons, although i heard...'' The girl rambled on but I got distracted by a red-haired boy walking past our compartment and looking right at me, when I met his glance he quickly looked away and rushed away. Slightly confused, the girl across from me caught my attention again;