Chapter eleven - Archenemy

Holly

The big quidditch game was coming up this afternoon and the tension was very noticeable. It was something more than usual. It seemed like everyone wanted to see it, even Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs who weren't even playing. Maybe because of the news of Draco's dad's generous gift, or Fred and George's new project with selling bets on the game. Either Way I felt myself get worked up due to the mood. I hoped Draco would show everyone that he was more than just that kid who got in because of his father. I chatted with Tracey on our way over for potions and turns out she's not going to the game. Her, Theo and Daphne would prepare some kind of victory party in the Slytherin common room.

"Well who am I gonna go with? You're not even sure that they'll win?" I whined.

"If we act like they will win, it's more likely that it will happen. And can't you ask that ginger boy that's a friend of Harry's?" she said like it was no big deal. Well it kind of was. Was I going to the game accompanied by a Gryffindor? And even worse, Harry's best friend. Draco would flip.

"If you don't see the problem in that, I can't help you," I nudged her shoulder with mine and she just rolled her eyes.

"Quite frankly, I do not give a diddly squat about what that Malfoy kid thinks about you going with Harry's friends. For all I care it would teach him a good lesson." She was still resenting him. Not so weird considering I hadn't told anyone about Draco's visit yesterday. He had shown more affection that night than he had in the two years I had known him. I knew that was immensely difficult for him, so I knew he was serious. We didn't have to say anything. We just laid there in a comfortable silence. Putting fate back into each other and I felt more relaxed than I had in awhile, feeling his chest rise and sink in a steady rhythm made me doze off to sleep. When I woke up later that night he was gone, but I could still smell the mint on my pillow.

I couldn't tell either Daphne or Tracey. They would just judge him, or me. Thinking I was naive, but they just wouldn't understand. So I just ignored Traceys snarky remark and quickly changed the subject.

"Do you remember what we're doing at class today? I asked, very well knowing the answer.

"Uhm.. I usually ask you that," she looked at me and scratched the back of her head.

"Right," I mumbled and we walked into class and sat down. Twenty cauldrons stood steaming between our wooden desks, next to brass scales and jars of ingredients. I grabbed my book and flipped to the page about Swelling Solutions, since that was what we were working with today.

Snape walked into class as dramatic as usual.

"In today's class we'll make a Swelling solution," Snape said in his usual snarky and slow tone, and I thought to myself no shit but didn't say it out loud.

Suddenly the door to the classroom swung open. Harry and his friend with fluffy hair had stumbled inside, muttering an apology for being late.

"Can't afford a watch can we, Potter?" Snape dragged, putting emphasis on his last name.

Almost every seat was taken except one besides me and one besides another gryffindor, Lavender I think I recall her name was. Harry gestured to the girl to go sit by Lavender as he made his way over to me. Snape glared at Harry as the stool made a loud creaking noise when he sat down. He looked at me apologetic but I just smiled and patted the back of his hand.

"Now, if Mr. Potter and Miss Granger don't mind, we may start this class," Snape said snarkily and instructed us as to what ingredients we were supposed to get. Bat spleens, dried nettles and puffer-fish. Harry offered to, yet again go get the ingredients. I tried to offer but he just went up and got them anyhow. I was just about to take a look at the recipe when I felt someone staring at me. I looked across the classroom and saw Draco give me a murderous look. What now? Was I just supposed to ignore Harry? We were working together for crying out loud. I glared at him and shook my head which got him to look away.