Chapter five - Snuff box

Holly

I just stood in the changing room, being the last one there. Feeling a complete frenzy of exhilaration. Had a silly smile plastered on my face that didn't wanna go away. I neatly folded my game uniform and placed the broom by the rest of them. I headed out the door and started walking back to the castle when I heard a familiar voice.

"Are you too famous for me now?" I let out a giggle as I spun around and ran up to him and threw my arms around him. He hesitated for a second but eventually returned the hug.

"I could never have done it without you," I whispered into his chest.

"Nonsense," he muttered as we let go. I hooked my arm with his and we headed back to the castle.

"What is this shit?" He gestured to our entwined arms.

"Oh get over yourself, it's comfy," I let out a scholding sigh and he rolled his eyes at me. I smiled at his silliness, he has probably never even held hands with anyone. This wasn't even weird to me. I always walked like this with Daphne to class, plus it offered some warmth in this cold weather. He quickly withdrew his arm as we went through the portrait.

"Oh you big baby." I mocked him and he gave me a bitter look. We went our separate ways and I couldn't be other than thankful for this mad and silly but perfect world.

***

The next day, Transfiguration was the first subject of the day. Professor McGonagall stood by her desk as she instructed us in how we were going to turn a mouse into a snuff box. Ten points would be rewarded the prettiest box that did not have any whiskers. We were divided into pairs, me ending up with Harry. He went and got a cage with a mouse in it and came and sat by me. I gave him a friendly smile as he sat down.

"Alright, you wanna go first?" I asked Harry.

He accepted and pulled out his wand and spoke the incantation. A faint blue light escaped his wand but the only thing it did was change the color of the mouse from white to silver.

I gave out a muffled chuckle as he stared at the mouse.

"Maybe you should give it a try," he said with lack of confidence.

I grabbed my wand and waved it towards the mouse, the same blue light shooting out of it and turned the mouse into a petite snuff box, not a very pretty one but at least it was there!

I gave out a shriek in excitement as Harry offered me a high-fife. He waived the professor over and she came walking with her heels echoing against the tall roof.

"Oh very well Miss Black, no whiskers I see. Not so easy on the eyes, but very good," she congratulated me.

"So you beat me in quidditch and transfiguration?," Harry laughed at me.

"I'm sorry Harry.." I tried.

"Oh stop it I'm just messing with you," he smiled and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Thank god," I exclaimed as we both chuckled.

I felt someone's eyes on me and I looked to my left and saw Draco staring at us two with hatred. As soon as he saw that I was looking he turned away and looked down at his wand.

What was that about?

***

I was packing some clothes into my trunk and chatting with Daphne.

"Promise me you'll write?" She pleaded.

"Of course, you too, right?" She nodded at me and we finished packing. I looked outside our bedroom for the last time this semester. Some flowers had popped up on the lush lawn outside. The weeping willow which could be seen from our window had started to grow some buds, so had the rose bushes right beneath our window. I would miss this place, everything about it. I felt as though I could recline here and just breathe. I could be myself, and I actually had some friends for once. Daphne came over to the window and stood by my side.

"You remember sorting night?" She asked me. I nodded in response.

"I asked the hat to put you in Slytherin with me, if you would fit in of course," she spoke and I looked at her in chock.

"Really? What was the hat's response?" I asked her.

"It said that he saw that our energies had been the same, but it had to take a look at your qualities first." I smiled and hugged her.

"I'm so glad I met you," I said as I stroked her back. She did the same and when we pulled away we just knew that we were destined to meet, it couldn't have been any other way.

We grabbed our trunks and lugged it down the stairs. Panting at the workout it was to get our bags downstairs we made our way out through the door and headed towards the train with the rest of the students. The sun was shining at us for the first time in a while and a few birds were singing. As if to say goodbye. We loaded our trunks and headed into the train. Tracey had saved us a booth and we went and sat by her. She told us all about her grand summer plans, and how she would convince her parents to get her a puppy and that she would smuggle it into the school. I looked at Daphne and we both rolled our eyes at her absurdity.

She asked us about our summer plans and Daphne told us that she would head out to her parents' summer house by the beach, that she would visit her grandmother and try to learn to play quidditch. When she asked me what I would be doing I was a little ashamed of what to answer. I just told them that me and my mother would make plans when I got back but in reality we never did anything special during the summers. My mother was unsupported as an only parent and we sometimes had trouble paying rent. She would be working all summer and I would probably mostly read books. Daphne offered me to come with her to her summer-house and I gladly accepted. Thinking to myself that she had no idea how thankful I really was for her offer.

The train ride flew by as me and the girls chatted on about everything and nothing, saw the now familiar forests pass by and before we knew it we had arrived back at King's Cross.

We grabbed our luggage and hugged each other goodbye. Daphne had tears in her eyes as we let go of eachother.

"Promise me that you'll write? And visit me?" She grabbed my hands and I nodded, the lump in my throat making it impossible to speak. She hugged me one last time before walking to her parents that were standing waiting for her.

I caught a glimpse of a blonde walking out the train. I hurried up to him and he spun around, smiling at the sight of me.

"Malfoy! Excited for summer?"

"Uhm sure," he spoke and I hinted dishonesty in his voice. But I could tell that he didn't wanna talk about it as he changed the subject.

"Would you mind if we exchanged some letters during the summer? Just to, you know- check in and confirm that you haven't fallen into a well or something else stupid since you seem to have two left feet," he looked at me and I remember all the times I had fallen, and the times I had dragged him with me. I laughed at the memories.

"Of course, I expect you to write to me. Otherwise I'll come kick your ass," I warned him but he didn't take the joke. He looked, uneasy.

"I promise I'll write," I grabbed his arm and looked right at him. He nodded as he walked away. Feeling slightly concerned I remembered him looking at me and Harry in transfiguration. It must be that. I brushed it off and walked past the train to see my mother. She quickly walked up to me and hugged me tight. Telling me how much she'd missed me and how empty the apartment had been while I was gone. But I was not too happy to see her. Because I knew I had to confront her about my dad, and she hated talking about him since it clearly was still sensitive. But I pushed that feeling aside. I just wanted to be happy to finally be home. But I realised it didn't feel like home anymore.

A/N: Just to clarify we are now leaving first year and entering summer break before the second year lol.

See you in the next Xx