Chapter 2: The Family

Only OC is mine

The look of shock never leaves my face for the next few moments, as if I relived the entire moment of about 5 minutes ago when what was left of my limited understanding of reality was crashing down. I first survive a fire looking like it came straight out hell itself, and emerge unscathed, then get rescued by a Dalmatian named Doug, of whom later reveals himself to be capable of TALKING to HUMANS. Finally, to top off everything, he and his GIRLFRIEND, Delilah, are inviting me to LIVE with them! What next, there's more of them?!

Meanwhile, Doug and Delilah continue to stare at me, waiting for a response. Still uneasy about my lack of answer, Doug speaks up.

"Um, Rictor? Sir?" Doug says, snapping me out of my surprise.

"Oh...uh, yeah, I'd be honored. But, are you sure bringing me in is a good idea? I don't want to be a burden to you and your girlfriend." I say.

Suddenly Doug and Delilah burst out in laughter, nearly dying over each other while still leaving me confused.

"Rictor, she's my wife," Doug says with a smile, putting his paw on her shoulders and nuzzling her. "And the only woman in the world who can ever make me happy."

"Aww. Thank you dear." Delilah replies.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't exactly know all the details between your guys' relationship." I say apologetically.

"It's quite alright, and I'm pretty sure we can squeeze you in, Rictor. Besides, there's always room for one more in the Dalmatian family." Delilah says with a smile.

"The only problem is how we're going to tell the kids..." Doug says.

"Especially her..." Delilah tries to whisper with a concerned look replacing her smile, but I manage to hear.

"Her? Her who? You have kids?" I curiously yet enthusiastically ask, the idea of cradling a bunch of adorable little Dalmatian puppies in the comfort of my arms somehow excites me. However, the mention of 'Her' has piqued my interest. Who could be so important in that family that they have to mention 'Her' in that sense?

"Yes, we do have kids, and they're the greatest litter we could ever ask for, and so much more." Doug says with a dreamy smile on his face.

"Even if they may be an even bigger paw-ful, or in your case, handful, than you would ever be." Delilah says with a giggle.

"Then in that case, if it's alright with you, I'd like to do my part in helping out with them, keeping your home in order, and moreover both of you too during my stay." I offer, receiving genuinely surprised looks from the Dalmatian couple.

"Really?" Delilah tilts her head.

"Well, then I know someone's going to get along with you just fine." Doug says, glancing at his wife with a smile, who smiles back in agreement.

"Who?" I ask.

"I think it'll be better if we show you. Doug, you just recently finished your shift, right?" Delilah asks as she picks up the medical bag she dropped upon first seeing me.

"Yes." He answers.

"Rictor, are you able to come with us?" Delilah asks.

"Uh, yeah, I can come right now." I say, finally getting back on my own feet and securing my backpack on my shoulders.

"Then let's go, if we hurry, we might be able to get home before the traffic jam spreads there too." She says, leading us out of the room with me following anxiously.

She leads us down the stairs, out of the firehouse, and into the streets on the way home, but not without the firefighters pounding their clenched fists on their chests saying, "UNBURNED!", in my direction. I merely give them a timid smile in return.