Chapter 8: Inquisitions, Introductions, and Insight

(Sorry for the wait...again...work, school, family, but also me doing what I can to make these chapters good is what takes me so long. To make up for this, however, I have two things, 1: This is yet again the longest chapter, over 12 thousand words. 2: Check on my message board, I have a little surprise to my dedicated readers out there. But for now, please leave a like, vote, comment, stay smart, stay awesome, and enjoy!)

Rictor

Never before had I wanted to focus so hard on what I wanted to hear in an area where I don't think anyone will know I'm eavesdropping, especially since the topic I'm listening to is essentially about me. Yeah, I made a positive impact on a few of the puppies, and the certainly appreciate my presence, but there's something about that one thing you need to have made right that makes you nitpick what you have, almost risking everything just to rectify one potential wrong.

I want to help the pups, all of them, Dolly included, and I will do what it takes to accomplish that goal.

I make sure that I'm in a secure laying position so as to not fall off if one of the puppies jumps on me, and I focus my hearing on where Dylan's signature is heading, straight to his sister and his parents. Judging based on where they are, I'd say they're in something along the lines of an attic here, it's at a higher elevation than the floor where my room is, so I think that's where they are. Since they are having a serious discussion, it makes sense that they're in a place with extra privacy. While still being aware of my surroundings, I pay attention to the sounds coming from the area above me.

And nothing else.

Dylan

Why do I feel so nervous? This doesn't usually happen. I mean, it's just my sister (well, stepsister), it's literally my job to know her since our families met. I love her as much as our brothers and sisters with all my heart, mind, and soul, but....why do I feel so much more pressure than I normally would?

I'm basically just helping Mom and Dad to explain to Dolly the reasons why Rictor is different from the other humans, in more ways than one....

Especially after what happened at the park during the test....

Don't get me wrong, regardless, he's not a bad guy, he seems to care for the family just as much as me and Mom and Dad do, I know that Dolly does too, which is why I need to convince her that she's wrong about him.

Though I have to admit, I'm a little skeptical myself about him and who he is as a human himself. Most humans I've come across that aren't a part of Mom and Dad's jobs are usually bumbling idiots who spend almost all the time on those 'cell phones' they can't seem to go anywhere without. They always drink these weird drinks at these weird places that have a bittersweet smell to them, which is usually the strongest during morning rush hours. They look like they're constantly taking photos of themselves and then getting giddy for no reason at random times.

Granted, there are some good humans, as I said earlier, that work with Mom and Dad to help people, and those are the ones I appreciate. They put others above themselves, it's their job, and that's the reason I admire Mom and Dad more than them. They leave the house to help others so they can provide for us, even if they don't want to leave, they push themselves to do it, for us.

In that spirit, that's where Rictor comes in.

As far as he's demonstrated, he's shown that he cares about us and our interests more than that of his own. I mean, he took the time out of his own day during his.....training.....to look after us basically just now. He showed great passion when it came to not only looking after them, but teaching them as well. He's willing to listen to our problems and based on his reaction in the backyard, he looked like he was already working on a solution to them. He's been able to help us in ways I never imagined a human was capable of, and if this talk goes well, it can hopefully be the start of changing Dolly's mind.