Chapter 20: Awakenings, Part 2

(Once more a transitionary point in my life, those 8 weeks, and even today it still is. Probably one of the hardest things I've had to do, pledging a fraternity. But it's my last avenue in the immediate future to have something akin to a social life, and I have managed to pass. Now I should at least have more time to be able to do this. Thank you all for sticking with me so far. Enjoy.)

NEGATIVE

VRROOOM-WHOOOSH!!!!

CLANG!

I feel myself rematerialize in the air, courtesy of Striker swooping in at the last moment to save my hind, and we land on a distinctly metal surface.

I relax my shoulders, having enjoyed the action I wanted to get and the preview before our little war, so to say.

We're in Big Ben, Striker's temporary base.

After some time of relaxing and recovering from the fight...our relatively new member stares at me.

"Sir, permission to speak freely?" He asks.

"Granted."

"Too close, sir. Too close."

"You realize that's how we get away from them almost all the time, right?"

"Same goes for vice versa. Only doesn't work when nobody's available and you're all out of options."

"That's why you keep them open."

"Yeah, sure. How's that Speed guy coming along?"

"He's called Swift now, and he's getting the Termites ready."

"Can that guy even have a proper identity? Or can anyone nowadays?"

"Finally found the one that makes sense. Any other name and he'd probably get copyrighted."

"That doesn't apply to us."

"You sure about that?"

"I dunno."

"Well he-"

Our brief exchange gets cut off before it goes any further.

My senses fire off.

The feeling of....control...and power...

I don't even get a word in before Striker comments.

"They're already started..."

"I am aware..." I say.

"You realize we could get to them-"

"If not for Krauss's intervention with that field of his..."

"I would imagine they'd want to come out and get rid of us before we break through that thing, what's the aim now, boss?"

I smile.

"I got some leverage..."

Rick

"We...volunteer." Dylan says sheepishly, still unsure about the process.

"S-same." Dolly adds, nodding.

First Doug and Delilah...now them...

I wonder how they'll turn out to be.

I turn to my friends.