Chapter 19: Awakenings, Part 1

(It...has been a very transitionary period in my life right now. A VERY, transitionary period. So much happened in less than a year is what caused it. That's all I can say, and the only semblance of a defense I can provide right now against the crime of neglecting this story. Yeah, I have been uploading on other stories, as I've been on a roll with them, but this one I have no excuse for. I am so, unbelievably, sorry. Please enjoy. Also surprise incoming in this chapter (I'll let you figure that one out for yourself).)

Dylan

In body...

What's that even supposed to mean: In body?

Like, did we once look like humans?

Did our ancestors used to be them?

It'd make sense, at least to a degree...could explain why we're similar in intelligence...

Or...

Was there something more to our ancestors and their being than what we initially thought...?

It's this question I've been mulling over for the past couple hours that's kept me in my own head, as counterproductive as that is, unfortunately.

So much has happened it's felt like a few months...despite it only being a few weeks...

One human we thought was more than what we could handle, and before we knew it, we've got 2 more in the house...

I've got no words to really comment on this, I'm just along for the ride at this point.

The one named Kai was observing the weapons that Rick claimed/used in the past couple fights and is impressed on the latter's 'instinct' that heavily aided him in defeating the past couple Demons. The two are now talking with some of the other puppies as well as Mom and Dad.

Meanwhile, Da Vinci has managed to finish her most recent painting and shows the canvas to our new guests.

"The work of a true artist, absolutely phenomenal...you even got the lighting right..." The Angel named Cato says, looking at the portrait of the 3 conversing with the puppies watching.

"Oh shucks!" Da Vinci blushes in embarrassment/pride. "You don't have to..."

"Well, I give credit where credit is due. Thank you, Da Vinci." Cato nods, giving a smile.

"Welcome...anytime, actually!" She returns the smile. "I'm gonna go frame this, if you're okay with that."

"Go for it." Cato nods, my sister carries her work back downstairs to put it in a frame of her choice.

Speaking of...

I haven't been down there in a while...there's bound to be a collection of her paintings at this point.

She's been gushing over Rick, occasionally.

I think she admires him...at least somewhat. I mean, after what he's done for us, I'd be to. I'd like to have gotten things done around here as much as quickly as he has.

Cato soon joins in with the other 2 humans as well.

"So, I was there even before he went on his adventure in the other world." Kai says.

"Say what now?" Cato asks, confused.

"Earlier, when you said that I was doing my own mission around the same time as yours, I was...but I was sent there about a month or so beforehand." He explains.

"Oh...back when we weren't talking much...were we?"

"Yeah, but honestly, after your new friends managed to get you out of that mask, I only knew things were going to get better. Even more so when you had me make that sword." Kai replies.