I'm Glad You're Here: The Office

"I'm so sorry."

You laid your forehead in the palm of your hand, shoulders hunched while you spoke on the phone. A wave of guilt briefly washed over you when you had to say those three words on the night both Midoriya and yourself had planned to go out and enjoy yourselves. The week prior you were so excited for the night, knowing that Midoriya had also taken a day off from his agency to make things work. Unfortunately, your workplace was met with an unfortunate chain of events, causing you to stay back in order to relieve the number of employees who had been struck with, ironically, the common cold.

It was already 5.37pm, already past closing, and yet you were still at your desk chipping away at the work that continued to accumulate. Working for another Pro-Hero agency was one thing, having to take on three people's worth of workload was another thing entirely.

"Hey, it's okay," spoke Midoriya over the phone. "Don't stress over it. I'll see you very soon."

"Ha, soon?" you joked. "I'll be lucky to leave before the Witching Hour. It's just... you took a day off from your busy schedule, and I can't make our date night because of paperwork." You stared at the piles before you. Not only were there piles of reports that you had completed, but there were unfinished ones along with others that had been pushed onto you.

"Like I said, don't stress over it, okay? We'll figure something out."

It was comforting to speak to him after a long day. Midoriya had always been supportive and a beacon of light whenever things looked grim. Ever since that slightly awkward meeting outside of the Heroes Association's doors, the both of you had kept in contact ever since, remembering that night afterwards enjoying dinner at a ramen shop not too far away. You both re-learnt about each other time and time again. It never was a dull moment. Of course, there was always the occasional surprise meet while out on patrol, but the unfortunate necessity was there to continue on with the day and not dawdle with conversation. You would both be lucky enough to be staying at home at the same time.

You smiled while Midoriya spoke about his day relaxing at home, while you conversed about yours, stuck in an office. Eventually, the both of you hung up your phones. The last thing you wanted to do was continue to chew the ear off of the one you loved. With that said and done, you continued with your work, along with other work as well, watching the clock continue to tick. It wasn't long until the evening turned dark, leaving only the light of your cubicle blooming around the empty office floor.

The guilt was still there, giving Midoriya the bad news. Sure it wasn't life-threatening and didn't affect anything badly, but just apologising to Midoriya was enough. He was too good for this world, you would always think.

After staring at the computer screen and countless papers for who knew how long and how many times, you slumped at your desk, rubbing your forehead and scrunching your eyes in hopes to rid of the tension that was growing in your skull. Just why out of the year, out of all times, did this happen on the one night you were looking forward to? Eventually you surrendered to the reality of the situation after the fifth report you filed in, but it didn't make you feel any better.

Sighing out loud, you slouched on your chair before you decided to take a quick walk around the now gloomy office, contemplating whether to call it a night, or push on a little more. The sound of the elevators caught you off-guard on your little walk, noticing that the floor numbers were changing on the wall, going upwards.

Wait a minute. The cleaners have come and gone, and it's well past 8.30pm. Who was riding the elevator?

With a ding and the doors opening, the light from inside cascaded over you, still in your casual wear after your earlier patrol today. Your eyes blinked from the sudden rush of light that hit them until they readjusted to recognize a familiar figure. There standing with a large picnic basket, a portable speaker, and himself, was Midoriya.