Criminal Intent

You shuffled on the rooftop, setting up your sniper rifle in place. It was difficult to ensure a good view of the port side of the island while your red cloak attempted to keep the chill at bay despite its short length. The sea wasn't your best friend, knowing that the winds may change drastically compared to the cityscape you were used to. Unlike Snipe, you couldn't control your trajectory. You relied on precision.

"Are you in position?" Asked a familiar voice in your ear.

"Locked and loaded," you replied, loafing your rifle while your eyes stared into its scope. In all honesty, you didn't need the extra glass, but with the varying wind speeds, it helped immensely to keep your hand steady.

Your eyes were drawn to the pier where the wake of a yacht finally settled from the waters ashore. Three men stepped from within, soon going their separate ways. As discussed prior to making your own way to this abandoned island, you made camp and agreed to keep a lookout for Midoriya while he traversed to the furthest point of the island. The aid of a sniper helped immensely as backup, but it also put your mind at ease knowing you had his back.

The horizon glowed a fiery amber across the surface of the sea, leaving you with very little light to work with under these conditions. Night vision was a must having had it installed in your scope, but you hoped the mission would run in the next half hour. That was all the light you could work with before you became less than useful. Staring at Midoriya's movements recalled that moment back in the city, lying in wait for the perpetrator only to make a bargain with him for information you had, in all essence, stolen from the Network.

Seek's face crossed your mind once or twice, knowing you kept the encounter under wraps in your head. But that didn't stop the look on that face again - Midoriya's, but not. You bit your lip at the thought, having kept your encounter from Midoriya himself. One thought led to another, soon wondering what had transpired between Midoriya and his friends regarding Seek, finding the man now running rampant again.

"Aren't you concerned about how quiet it is?" You asked, hoping to keep yourself away from your conjectural thoughts.

"Yeah a little. You can still see me, right?" Asked a voice in your ear, noticing Midoriya wave aimlessly in the air as if he were greeting you.

"Clear as day."

You stopped with an exhale frustratingly concerning, shaking your head at your words. The same words you answered on that mission when Seek caught you from behind. You shifted in your position slightly agitated from the chill but more so from your thoughts that persisted and haunted your conscience.

"Izu— ... Deku, do you remember when you told me about yourself?" You asked hesitantly, noticing Midoriya slowed his step through your scope.

"Yeah?" He asked just as hesitant about the question.

"How did it feel to have kept it from everybody? I've probably asked this before, but, what made you decide that you could trust me?"

There was not much you could do but watch Midoriya react, finding his head low and in thought. He always formulated a way to say things. That much you were certain before you noticed him continue his search.

"It was difficult," he started with a deep sigh, his eyes alert to his surroundings. "I wanted to for so long, at least it felt like that at the time. I even had a journalist investigate me back in UA, so it was a sensitive matter."

You mulled over the fact, recounting how he also explained that story to you briefly after you were privy to his secret.

"I trust you. Completely," he continued. "Sooner or later, you would have discovered on your own before I had a choice."