Babysitting Duty (R)

"I hope the intel was right about this. We've been hanging around for the past half hour," you mumbled, peeking through your sniper's telescopic sight.

"I'm sure the Network had its sources," replied Midoriya through your ear, the crackle of your earpiece catching every so often. "You can still see me yeah?"

You swiveled your sight onto Midoriya, standing by in the middle of the large open crosswalk, waving towards you with a smile.

"As bright as day," you affirmed, watching him give a thumbs up in the air.

"I'm sure Todoroki has it sorted on his end. He'll let us know."

You could feel yourself consciously breathing, controlling every facet of your body. Tense and still, your muscles almost ached while you laid by the window overlooking the large open crosswalk. Civilians had been advised to stay indoors and avoid this side of town after multiple sightings of this culprit were spotted amongst the public. The briefing was a quick one at All Might's former agency, partnering with you as a representative from Sir Nighteye's former agency. Though Centipeder had a close relationship with the Local Hero Network, you imagined the pure reason for the partnership was also a marketing scheme. The dull glint from your ring against the sunlight only solidified that notion in your head.

"Have you thought more about it?" you asked through the earpiece.

"Hm? About what?"

"Timing on our wedding."

You could see the stiffness in Midoriya's shoulders through your sight in reaction to your passing thought. He was still a little anxious when caught off guard.

"I... haven't thought much," he truthfully replied, hearing the slight nervousness in his tone.

"How do you feel about Spring?" you asked, shifting slightly in position. "Maybe not during cherry blossom season, but somewhere close around then."

"Hm... I don't see why not? But we'll have to get that organized soon. Spring is a contender for weddings."

"So are most seasons, but nothing but the best for Number One, right?"

"You can't make that the excuse all the time, you know that right?"

You chuckled inwardly at the thought, sighing to yourself at the truth behind his words. It was a fact indeed that his status would deal a great pull when it came to offers and offerings, but you smiled to yourself knowing Midoriya's humble responses to every sort of whim anyone would give. It was what you loved about him - he rarely cared for the fame that came with the title.

A static in your ear signaled a change in frequency with the telecommunications, spotting Midoriya's hand to his ear. Through your scope, you watched him step in circles, as if he were darting around, scanning his environment. Was he speaking with Todoroki? You assumed as much, considering the both of them agreed to plan this capture together after learning of what transpired between Ground Zero and Red Riot. Yet, watching Midoriya in a slight panic only made your skin crawl up your spine.

Something wasn't right.

A wet hand grabbed the back of your head, its fingers gently around your crown. You cursed to yourself wondering how anyone was able to sneak up behind you, especially one that was drenched from head to toe.

"Oh Poppet, so predictable," spoke a voice from behind, your heart racing wondering if you had enough time to reach your magnums by your holsters. "I just want to talk, and you're the most level-headed person I know. But first, we'd be a lot safer if you took your guns out of the equation."