One Step Forward

"How far is this place?" you asked, out of breath.

"It's not too far," reassured Midoriya, pointing towards an open recess below in the distance. "Campsite's right there."

"If I knew how long this hike was, I would've at least prepared myself mentally. It feels like forever."

Your hands landed on your knees while you breathed deeply though your nose, feeling the burn in your lungs from the crisp mountain air. No amount of stress in any mission could match the fatigue you felt overtime on this mountain trail. The backpack became a heavy weight thirty minutes or so ago, and your feet were killing you. You felt a large palm rub the back of your shoulder in a comforting way. You didn't need to turn your head up to know who that was. Izuku Midoriya had been nothing but supportive on this hike, at least for the past thirty minutes. Every so often he would offer a sip from his water bottle, reminding you to hydrate, and making sure that there were breaks to catch your breath. He was always looking out for you, but the hike did nothing to hinder his fitness.

Moral support from the Number One Hero was a hilarious irony.

"We're almost there," continued Midoriya while he peered over the mountain trail. "I'd fly us over but, that's considered cheating."

Your sceptical eye turned upwards towards Midoriya, spotting a cheeky yet embarrassed look on his face.

"What? You? Cheating?" you remarked through your breathing, feigning surprise. Sigh "I'd think less of you if you did that, but, I appreciate the sentiment." You pushed yourself back onto your feet, your body swaying a little from the momentum before Midoriya gently grabbed your waist to steady your balance. Your exhausted eyes peered at the destination that sat by the river below, its waters glistening against the sun's rays that beamed high above.

"Okay, let's go," you coaxed while you took a step past Midoriya. His hands still laid on your waist before he immediately grabbed a hold of your legs and swung you into his arms. You squeaked from the sudden motion, instinctively grabbing hold of his neck to adjust in his hold.

"I- Izuku?!" you called out, startled.

"I think you've had enough endurance for this morning," he playfully chirped. "I'll take care of the rest."

Midoriya swiftly made his way down the mountain trail, now with you in his arms. It still surprised you how he could independently continue to hold his strength with ease. There was something effortless in how he approached everything, from all things domestic, to all things heroic. Far from the nervous, anxious, young hero he was when the both of you first met. He had grown to become a confident soul, and he had been nothing but an inspiration, despite the fact that your fitness gave out on this simple hike.

Being Number One had its perks and its pitfalls, but so did your work at Sir Nighteye's agency and contracting out for operations with law enforcement. The crime rate had risen overtime and that meant more heroic work and paperwork was the staple. Eventually, it was Midoriya's idea for the Number One to take some R&R, finding an opportunity over a weekend to get away from the city. Of course, the both of you discussed how to plan this together.

The train trip to the mountainside was a relaxing trip, mostly spent with you sleeping half the time on Midoriya's shoulder. The wake up call was bright and early for your standards, but he didn't mind while he enjoyed the sights outside the carriage windows before he caught up on some reading about work - the last he would keep track before clocking out upon arrival.

Polis Massa Bay was a spot Midoriya was suggested through work to take time off, if not for the beachside or the attractions, the mountainside was a breath of fresh air. Midoriya had decided with you to do just that, and so hired a campsite for the both of you to enjoy a weekend out. Needless to say, it entailed a long and winding hike to get to the spot, thus the early start to travelling to the bay itself. During the start of it, you felt overjoyed and excited seeing how beautiful the landscape of the mountains was in the early morning sun, but now, you were glad you were off your feet.