Dwarf and Dreams

A/N : I don't own the characters. Only the plot

             Artemis just stared. He was a flame user? How was that even possible? Only few had that power. And he was only a descendant. But he had shot a fireball at James. That was proof of his powers. He was going to ask Leo a few questions when they heard the sounds of some commotion happening in the general direction of the Cabins. And so they ran. Questions could come later, but the safety of the Camp could not be compromised. As Butler, Holly and Artemis neared the Hecate Cabin from where the sounds were coming,  they recognized an all too familiar voice.

" I am sorry Chiron, but the magical residue here was too strong for me to resist."

" But still Tombstone, you could have just walked in through the Camp entrance."

" Meh. Where is the fun in that? Since I don't have magic it took me 5 minutes to tunnel in here, you know."

The three ran in to see their old friend. Their fellow partner in crime. A thief that could give Artemis a run for his money. Literally.

Mulch Diggums.

As they walked in, Butler couldn't resist saying, " Tombstone? Really? Don't you ever change your aliases?"

Mulch's head, which a minute before had been chewing on a dead rabbit, whipped around at the voice he would recognize anywhere.

" Butler? What are you doing here?"

Butler chuckled. " I am not the only one who's here."

Mulch groaned. " For Gods' sake does he have to be wherever I go?"

Artemis came into view, smirking. " It seems that fate has decreed that we meet again, Mulch."

" No Mud Boy, it was not fate. It was your own curiosity that brought you here. So tell me, how many times has Butler saved your hide in the last 2 days?"

" Not once. And watch the manners, Diggums. I just figured out that I can create fire. So unless you want your back scorched, keep your attitude down." A fire appeared in Artemis's hand.

Mulch gulped but regained his bravado almost immediately. 

" Whatever, Mud Boy. My attitude comes with me. You can't just 'keep it down'. And Holly, how long have you been here?"

Holly scowled. " I have a warrant for you, Mulch."

Mulch sniggered. "The last time you said that, I ended up getting a medal. So you can say that again."

Holly sighed, but walked up to her friend and hugged him. "Ok that's all for the niceties. Now, why are you here?"

Mulch struck a melodramatic pose, left hand cupping right elbow, right hand scratching his freaky, vibrating beard. " I told Chiron here, and I will say the same to you. The magic residue was too strong."

Holly sighed yet again. " But really Mulch, how do you always appear wherever Artemis is?"

" What can I say? Artemis is wherever I go. Maybe it's determined. Together, we would be unstoppable. Maybe the Fates really want all banks to go bankrupt. Now I need food. Where can I get it?"

Chiron stepped up. " Wait. Why are you calling him Mulch? He told me his name was Tombstone."

Mulch grinned. " I am sorry Chiron, but that is my out-and-about name. My actual name is actually Mulch. And luckily for me, I do go out-and-about, or how else would I have come across this lovely place that gives me food for free anytime I want just because I saved you one single time?"

With that, the kleptomaniac dwarf walked away in the direction of the kitchen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, went by quite uneventfully. Artemis trained, Mulch ate. Holly talked to everyone at Camp, Mulch ate. Butler shifted from activity to activity, Mulch farted. There was only so much a dwarf can eat. Artemis spent most of his time with Foaly and Leo building the machine for Anglothermothesis scans. ( Sound familiar? ) They were quite sure that it could be completely build within the next day. And it transpired the exact same way. The next day by sunset, the machine was fully assembled. It had a cylindrical base, with long spire-looking structures sprouting from four places. Looked normal, but could actually look like it's background. That is, it had the ability to camouflage. Courtesy of Foaly's camouflage foil. The three decided to call the machine The Anglo. While they were brainstorming then name, something excited was happening in the Camp forest. To Butler.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Butler was merely walking in the woods when suddenly he was covered by 5 pixies. One look at their eyes told him they were mesmerized. Opal Koboi's work. They stared at each other for a minute then the fight began. Butler took out the first with a quick jab at his neck. The second and third were dispatched with roundhouse kicks. While he was too engaged with the first 3, he didn't notice the remaining two pick up logs and sneak behind him. Two blows on the head later, Butler was falling unconscious, hoping that Artemis wouldn't die.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night Artemis was too tired to wait for Butler. He knew Butler was in the forest. Probably having some 'me-time'. And he just couldn't bring himself to disturb Butler's moment of peace. (Yeah, right.) So he just went to his Cabin, and in 5 minutes was fast asleep. For the first time since he had come to Camp, dreams found him. A few cabins beside him, Percy was having the same dream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In his dream, a pixie was fiddling with something and suddenly turned to look at him. A face he knew all too well. Opal Koboi. He looked to the side and saw Percy standing there. One more scan of the room revealed a man. No, an elf that had been magically grown. Golden eyes. That could be only person. 

" Kronos." Percy confirmed his suspicions.

The Titan stepped out of the shadows and Artemis was paralyzed. Standing before him was a splitting of the late Commander Root. Another taunt by Opal at him.

The pixie and Titan spoke at the same time. 

" Come to the Warehouse of Utopia in Manhattan. Before dawn. Or your friend dies."

They moved aside to reveal Butler tied to a chair, unconscious. Artemis was thrown into further paralysis. Here was his bodyguard, kidnapped because Artemis had been too lazy to search for him. He swore he would never do it again. He had to save his friend.

The voices echoed one last time before the dream faded.

" Before dawn. Or he dies."

Artemis knew that they wanted him and Percy to kill them. And while he did not particularly want to die at the hands of the maniacal pixie, Percy's fatal flaw was already working.