Chapter 34 - What's Up, Mom?

A numbing sort of pain had spread throughout my body as I followed Paige and Phoebe through the city.

It had been 6 hours since Chris disappeared in a split second, like he had never been here at all. Our memories of him were thankfully still intact and for that I was grateful. But it felt so wrong somehow, not having him here. Almost like I couldn't imagine a time when he wasn't. Like I didn't belong here either if he wasn't. The thought truly made me wonder just how easily he'd made me fall in love with him. And how hard it would be to let all of this go if we never got him back. How could I get over this?

What would my life even look like if he weren't apart of it? How could I ever move on after knowing him?

But that morbid reverie was mercifully cut short at the sound of a voice I didn't wish to hear again - that of the Darklighter, Damien, who had attempted to hurt Chris.

His crossbow was pointed straight at Piper and Leo who I could now very clearly see standing there.

I glowered at him from across the alley as I spat, "I wouldn't do that if I were you because this time I'll vanquish you for real,"

"Well, it's about time," Piper pointed out with a smile, her eyes lighting up as soon as she saw the three of us.

"Who sent you?" Phoebe asked the Darklighter.

But before he could answer - if he even would have at all - another Darklighter appeared just above on the rooftop, letting loose an arrow that hit squarely in Damien's chest. In one loud, agonized scream, Damien combusted before disppearing in a shower of black smoke and sparks.

Wordlessly, the other Darklighter disappeared as well. I shared a confused glance with my step-mother before my eyes alighted on a figure ever so slowly fading into existence on the opposite side of the alley.

A very familiar set of green eyes watched me, a smile spreading across his face as he did. Realizing instantly where he was and what had happened, he pumped his fists in the air, "Yes! I'm back!"

"Wait. What? How is that possible?" Phoebe asked, eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

But I didn't wait for his answer, didn't even hear it when he did say it. Because in that moment, all I could see, think or feel was Chris. His arms enveloped me immediately, my feet lifting up off the ground as he pulled me tight against his chest. And for the first time in months, I felt a sense of peace and security wash over me. It had finally happened. And now, Chris was here to stay.

Which is why I found myself sitting between the youngest Halliwell sisters in Piper's bedroom, awaiting the mother-to-be to walk in. Once she finally did, her face held an expression filled with confusion and trepidation.

"What's going on?" she asked us warily, sitting

"Maybe-maybe you should sit down for a second," Phoebe suggested and I pursed my lips, trying to hold back a smile.

Yeah, she'd definitely need to sit down for this one.

Piper made a face, "Oh, that doesn't sound good,"

"No, no, no, it's good, it's good. I mean, it's, you know, it's not bad. It's a-it's a really-it's a really good thing, it's not a bad thing. I think it's a really good thing, don't you think?"

She said this last aside to me and Paige and I made a halfway gesture with my hand while Paige replied, "Yeah! I mean, it depends...you know,"

Piper eyed the three of us, her suspicion arising, "Uh-huh, that sounds worse,"

"No, it's-it's just complicated," I reassured her.

Or attempted to. But judging by the look on her face, I'd say that ship had sailed.

"Okay, so why don't you guys just tell me what's going on?" she asked.

Phoebe, being the peacemaker as she was, got right to the point, "Alright. Uh, Paige, Mattie and I know what happened between you and Leo last night,"

A chuckle burst free from her lips and she shook her head, obviously confused as to our knowledge of this, "What? Excuse me?"

Paige was quick to reassure her, "Not because anybody told us or anything, it's just because of Chris,"

"Chris? Wh-why would Chris know what happened last night?"

Phoebe jumped in then, "Well, because he wouldn't be here if it didn't. Yeah, see we've known for a while, we just didn't know how to talk to you and Leo about it,"

Piper shook her head, exasperated now, "Talk to us about what?"

Phoebe gave a disappointed sigh of frustration, shooting me a look.

I then glanced at Paige, "Is this my turn?"

Both sisters nodded in response and it was my turn to sigh. How exactly did you tell someone something like this?

"Uh..." I started, stumbling over the words before finally biting the bullet, "...Chris is your son."

"Wyatt's brother," Phoebe interject, "Look, I know this is huge-"

But Piper cut her off, giving out a humorless laugh, "No, it's-it's not huge because it's not possible, it's crazy because I'm not pregnant!"

Phoebe half-giggled then and I couldn't help the huge smile that split my face at her denial as the three of us nodded, "Yeah..."

"No, I'm not! I mean, how could that happen? I mean, I know how that could happen but it..." Piper was denying vehemently before finally, she stopped as the full realization of the very realness of the situation dawned on her, "What am I gonna do?"

"Maybe you should talk to Leo about it," Phoebe suggested, Paige and I nodding in agreement.

"No, I can't,"

"Why?"

"Well, because-because-because I can't!" Piper repeated in a huff.

I rolled my eyes, sharing a look with the sisters. Before any of us had the chance to say more, we were cut off by a quiet knock on the hardwood frame of the bedroom. Glancing up, my eyes locked on emerald green.

"Is this a bad time?"

Slowly, Piper turned around, completely and utterly stunned as she stared openly at her youngest son.