Chapter 35 - My Boyfriend's Ultrasound

"Are you hormonal or just plain crazy?!"

I grinned at Paige's eruption as the people surrounding us in the tiny hallway stayed frozen. One woman had just opened her mouth to speak and now looked like some sort of cosplay of the Edvard Munch variety. Yikes!

Piper sniffed, "One woman can only take so much,"

"Okay, if these people walk out of their offices, what do you think they're gonna see?"

"Well, I think they won't be touching my stomach anymore, that's what I think,"

A laugh escaped from my lips but I stifled it best I could with my hand, earning myself an eye-roll from Paige as she continued berating her older sister, "Piper, that is not a good enough reason to freeze people,"

"I think it is."

Thankfully, the elevator doors opened then and Piper lifted a hand to unfreeze the roomful of people. A woman standing way too close behind us, in my opinion at least, stumbled then from the suddenness of Piper's unfreezing and Paige caught her deftly.

"It's okay, it's okay, we all just get a little vertigo sometimes," Paige said to her before we stepped into the elevator, mumbling under her breath as she did, "No wonder Chris grows up to be such a neurotic little freak,"

I elbowed her at that one, sending her a dark glare to which she sent me a cheeky smile back.

"So you excited?" I asked Piper conversationally.

She seemed dumbfounded at the question, "About what?"

Paige rolled her eyes as if the question had been an obvious one, "About what the doctor said. That it's gonna be a healthy baby,"

"Well, I know he's healthy. I've seen him twenty-two and walking around," Piper quipped in response.

Even though Piper's tone was nonchalant, I knew the whole ordeal had been a strain on her. On the entire household really. Now that the truth was out, it had taken everyone a few weeks to adjust to the change, Piper especially. After all, it's not every day you were pregnant with your second child while also living with the adult version of him from the future...

Hm, all this thinking was beginning to make my head hurt. This was starting to sound like a telenovela...

"Well, you never know, something could happen," Paige was saying in exasperation over Piper's carefree attitude.

"Oh, don't be such a worry wart," Piper rolled her eyes, "Now you're starting to sound like-"

Just then, a swirl of blue-and-white lights lit up the tiny elevator before Chris appeared before us.

"Huh, speak of the devil," I grinned over at my boyfriend.

"Hey," he greeted us, clearly oblivious to the conversation he'd just orbed into.

"-Chris." Piper finished with a slight smile.

Paige put a hand up, "Okay, if this is about demons, I don't wanna hear it 'cause I am on my lunch break,"

"No, no, no, I just wanted to know how it went with the doctor," Chris replied.

"Well, you'll be happy to know that you're a boy!" Piper told him, holding up the ultrasound photo for him to see.

Chris chuckled mockingly, shaking his head, "That's not what I meant,"

Paige leaned over then, squinting at the picture, "I don't see it,"

"Oh, see," Piper began, pointing to the blurry image, "it's this-"

"Whoa!" Chris exclaimed, snatching the photo out of his mother's hands as he cut her off, "Excuse me! Do you mind?"

A loud laugh burst free from my lips at Piper's surprised expression and Chris' defensive one. Wow. Yep, you could definitely see that those two were related.

Chris looked down at the photo then, eyebrows knitting together in confusion as he tilted his head. The elevator doors opened then, emptying us out into the car park.

"Why are you so edgy, anyway? Relax," Piper told him as we walked through the dimly lit area.

Chris shot her a look, "Well, it's not me in there I was thinking about, it's you. I'm just making sure you're okay,"

"See, that's where I'd ask for money to go to the movies," I put in, slipping my hand in Chris' as we walked.

"Very funny. Actually, in the future, you're the one I go to for money,"

I stopped for just a moment, stunned into silence for only a split second before we resumed walking,"Okay, that's kind of bizarre..."

To be perfectly honest, I really didn't want to know what he'd meant by that remark. Did that mean that in the future I had stopped aging? Or was I older, like a middle-aged soccer mom figure to him? Clearly, he was a lot younger than me... But then, if that were so, how would we be engaged in the future? Again, I could feel a migraine starting and decided to cut that train of thought off before I could do more damage to my mental state.

Thankfully, a happier thought struck me then, "Oh, wait, does that mean I'm rich?!"

My boyfriend shot me a look which could only mean- "I can't tell you that,"

Piper on the other hand, seemed a bit hurt by the knowledge, "What about me? I'm your mother. Why didn't you come to me for money?"

His typical caginess came out then, "Because I don't want to bother you, you'll have too much to deal with,"

Paige asked, "What about your dad?"

"Uh, Leo's not much of a factor,"

"What does that mean?"

"I'd rather not talk about it,"

Piper eyed him suspiciously but I could hear a bit of concern lurking in her voice as she asked, "Future consequences?"

Chris shrugged the question off, "More like future issues,"

Paige raised an eyebrow, "Ooh, father-son problems,"

"I have an idea, let's change the subject!" I suggested as Chris wrapped an arm around my waist, bringing me into his side.

His own way of thanking me, I knew. But before another word could be spoken, something drastic happened.

A woman fell out of the sky - or more like from the top of the roof - and dropped down right in front of us. Quickly, Chris shoved Piper and myself out of the way. We both fell to the ground and I glanced over Piper to make sure she was alright.

Hissing, the woman lashed out, her sharp, ebony nails leaving a deep scratch on Chris' neck.I put a hand up then, willing the fire extinguisher to come towards me before sending it spiraling towards the woman. Narrowly, she jumped over it. No! I cursed under my breath as Piper attempted to blow her up, Paige starting to throw something at her but it was to no avail. Because before our very eyes, she transformed into that of a tiny spider before scuttling away.

My eyes briefly went wide in shock as Chris helped the both of us up.

"You guys okay?" Paige asked, racing to our side.

Wincing in pain as he touched his neck, Chris' green eyes seemed troubled, "I don't know. Am I?"

I shared a worried glance with my future mother-in-law as she spoke, "I don't know."