Chapter 22 - Demons & Persuasions

Finally, my life was going great. Or at least, it felt that way.

Chris and I had been sort of dating ever since I kissed him when he came back from the future, back to me. He'd explained later that he'd been apprehensive about the concept in the very beginning because he hadn't wanted to change the future - our future. He wouldn't tell me what had changed his mind exactly and part of me - the overthinking, neurotic part - wondered if something bad had happened, something unchangeable. And that maybe, just maybe, by being with me now, he was hoping to change that grim future.

I tried to put it out of my mind though, focusing on the here and now - like getting to kiss Chris whenever I wanted, have him hold me while watching scary movies, or even helping me bake a cake for Piper's birthday coming up. Just little things, inconsequential things that really meant everything to me.

Another load off my shoulders was having the girls know what was wrong with me - ie, my demon powers finally surfacing. Admittedly, they had taken it better than I'd thought they would - although they were all very worried about me over it. I suspected they were hoping I wouldn't go full-demon eventually. And to be truthful, the same thoughts swirled in my brain as well. Yet another thing I had to shove into a box, to think on later

I swung my legs back and forth while sitting on Piper's bed, watching the exchange between her and my boyfriend - man, I really loved saying that! - as I did.

"How am I supposed to protect Wyatt if you don't tell me when a demon attacks until hours later?" Chris fumed at the eldest Halliwell.

"Because, Chris, I'm taking care of it," Piper assured him as she flipped through the Book of Shadows.

"That's fine, but what happens if this demon was the one? The one who was after Wyatt. The reason why I came back,"

"Well, then you're in luck because I blew him up. Not to mention, how many demons have you said that about so far?"

"Piper, I've just got Wyatt's best interest in mind," he reminded her softly.

"So do I," she said, letting the book fall shut with a big puff of dust as she got up from her seat, "Demon's not in here,"

"Well, what's it look like?" I asked, getting up to join the two of them.

"Tall, robed with a metal rod thingy," she replied.

"Really?" Chris asked sarcastically, "Well, that narrows it down,"

I made a face, elbowing him in the ribs. Chris being Chris only rolled his eyes in response to that, though. So much for me helping him be a less grumpy person, I mused.

"If another one shows up, I'll be here," Piper reminded him.

"That's just my point, Piper, what if you're not here? What happens if you have a date with the fireman or whoever else you're seeing this week?" he challenged her.

The eldest Halliwell sighed before turning to face him, "Look, Chris, I don't want to go into it. But I'm not gonna be out on a date with the fireman or anybody else for that matter, anytime soon, so that I can focus more on Wyatt,"

"What?" the Whitelighter's mouth fell open in shock.

"Did I stutter?" she shot back sarcastically.

Well, there were two grumpy people in this household then.

"Piper, you can't give up on love. Ever," Chris said emphatically, surprising both Piper and myself.

"Why not?"

"Because you just can't, that's why. It's not natural. Look, all I'm saying is you don't have to make that type of sacrifice to protect Wyatt. That's why I'm here,"

"Well, you weren't here earlier, were you?" she called over her shoulder just before exiting the room.

Chris and I shared a glance before trudging along after her, listening to her continue, "Look, the only thing that matters right now is what's best for Wyatt,"

"This is not what's best for Wyatt, Piper,"

"How do you know?"

"Because I've seen the future and this isn't supposed to happen,"

"So what is supposed to happen?" she countered.

"Yeah, actually, I'm curious about that myself," I admitted, arching an eyebrow over at Chris.

He frowned at the two of us, "Come on, you know I can't answer that,"

Piper shrugged, "Well, since you're sent from the future to change it, maybe this is one of the things that needs to be changed,"

Chris shook his head vehemently, "No, it's not. Believe me, it's not!"

Piper shushed him then as we strode into Wyatt's room before she fell silent. A confused expression crossed her face then, "Who left this?"

Chris, not paying attention, just went on, "Look, if you're so concerned about protecting Wyatt, there's other ways to go about doing it, you know,"

Slowly, Piper picked up a card attached to a small box wrapped in bright yellow paper sitting on the dresser.

"Like what?" she asked distractedly.

"Like letting Leo take him up there for a while. You could always bind his powers,"

Stepping closer, I glanced over her shoulder to take a peek at the card. A tiny smile split my face when I did. Leo had left her a birthday present.

"Will you think about what I said?" Chris asked her softly, joining us by the dresser.

Glancing up, I nearly blushed at the close proximity of him but the knee-jerk reaction away.

"About what?"

"About binding Wyatt's powers,"

Piper didn't hesitate then, more focused now, "No way,"

"Why not? Nobody would ever be after him and you'd have your life back,"

"But that would be selfish of me, wouldn't it? Put my needs before his destiny," she told him as he just rolled his eyes lightly in response, "I'm not being a martyr, Chris, I'm not. I just get it now. I'm the mother of a very special child that if I do my job right, is gonna grow up to do very special things. What could possibly be more important than that?"

Wyatt began to whimper in his crib then, probably awakened from all the loud talking. Piper covered him back up where he had kicked out of his covers, "Sweetie, go back to sleep. And I will be right back."

I bit my lip, frowning in thought as Piper left the nursery, leaving Chris and I in the dark.

In so many more ways than just physically.