Chapter 5 - A Whole New World

As I went back to my potion-making, I couldn't help the nagging feeling that whatever his reasoning was, maybe something really had been wrong. Shaking my head to free myself from the worrisome thoughts, I put the spoon down on the counter and immediately climbed the stairs to the upper level of the house. It didn't take long to figure out where he'd gone as raised voices met my ears - Piper and Leo's room.

But what I found there was more than just a screaming match between a disgruntled couple. Piper, who now wielded the powers of Athena, was clearly agitated with Leo. But instead of taking her anger out on her husband...she was taking it out on Chris. As soon as I stepped inside the threshold, Piper flicked her wrist, effectively sending the Whitelighter spiraling into the far wall.

A gasp escaped my mouth, Piper's eyes snapping to me as I did. Falling to my knees beside Chris' still body, Leo did the same, waving one glowing hand over him.

"He'll be okay," he assured me after glancing up to see my concern before turning to his wife, "You did it, Piper. You found your power. Now control it, don't let it control you."

A large crash sounded downstairs and the two shared a knowing look before they both took off, heading towards whatever had caused it.

I started to get up but Leo vetoed that idea, ordering, "Stay with him!"

A sigh escaped my mouth as I watched their retreating forms turn the corner, turning back to brush back a stray strand of brown hair from Chris' face. It was more than a little ironic that he looked like an angel with his eyes closed. Then again, he was one - more or less. None of that mattered though - the only thing that mattered was that he was going to be okay.

Wait, why was I thinking these thoughts about Chris, though?! It's not like I cared about him or anything... I shook the thoughts away before biting my lip. That's it, I was not going to be stuck here a moment longer - not when the sisters needed me.

"Hey, you, wake up!" I said, shaking Chris by the shoulders.

When he still didn't awaken, a groan emitted from between my lips and after gathering all my strength, I slapped my hand across his cheek - sharply.

This time, Chris was the one to groan and I smiled, pleased with myself. His eyes fluttered open, narrowing when they landed on the image of me kneeling above him.

"Did you just slap me?" he asked, still groggy from being knocked out as I helped him to his feet.

"Why? Did it feel like I did?" I answered his question with a question, feigning innocence.

Judging from the look on his face, he didn't buy it but nevertheless, obliged in helping me. But as soon as we had orbed downstairs, everything had been taken care of - the Titans were gone, defeated by Piper via an earthquake. It should've been good news. And it was - to a point. Except...Leo wasn't coming back. And not just "not coming back" as in he was on an Elder holiday - like never coming back.

But as the weeks passed since Leo had made that decision, everything seemed totally different. And not just the absence of the man who I'd grown accustomed to seeing around the house, as much family to me as the girls were. But now, Piper's whole demeanor had changed - she was bubbly, upbeat. It's like Leo's departure hadn't phased her in the slightest. It was worrisome to say the least.

As the girls busied themselves around the house - one off to work, another babysitting Wyatt - I wandered over to the front door, feeling out of sorts. All of these changes was enough to make one's head spin. Peeking out through the stained-glass window, I noticed Chris sitting on the front steps just outside, chatting with Leo who now wore his gold Elder robes. I arched my eyebrows, not totally surprised to see him there. Every now and then, he'd pop in to visit Wyatt. But still...what where they talking about out there?

"Mattie!" Piper called from behind me then and I glanced over my shoulder to see her way-too-perky smile, "Are you staying here for lunch?"

I nodded, shooting her a small smile in return, "Yeah, I figured I would."

"Great." she beamed before sauntering off to the kitchen.

I shook my head before muttering under my breath, "Perky Piper's gonna kill us all."

But as I turned back to the window, I did a double-take. Chris sat alone on the steps outside - no Leo in sight. Where did he go? Weren't they just-?

Slowly, he stood up from his seat there and I took a step back just in time as the door was wrenched open, coming face-to-face with him.

Chris frowned over at me, "Were you spying on me?"

"No," I lied before faking an eye-roll, "Trust me, Perry, you're not interesting enough for that."

Chris scoffed slightly, pushing past me before lifting a hand to slam the door closed behind him. I watched as the mahogany door shut...without him even having to touch it. But wait...that wasn't a Whitelighter power...was it?

As Chris wandered back into the recesses of the house, I let my eyes linger on his form. Things just didn't add up with him.

And one way or another, I was going to find out what he was hiding.