Chapter 10 - Suspicious (Empathic) Minds

The past week had been terrible. I'd tried to confront Chris on several occasions but every time I did, he walked off. He was avoiding me on purpose and I knew it. It's not as if it had come as a total surprise - I always knew Chris probably knew me from the future, as he seemed know the girls.

But knowing about Grace? That was a league all its own, an intimacy I had never expected. It made me truly wonder just how much he knew about me - and that worried me to no end.

"Mattie, are you even listening to a word I say?" Phoebe asked suddenly, snapping me out of my reverie.

My brown eyes flicked up to meet hers and I shot her a sheepish smile to which she just sighed, shaking her head.

"What is it with you lately, kid?" she asked, throwing her arm around my shoulders in a sisterly way, "Seems like every other day you've got your head in the clouds. Not to mention your emotions are all over the place. Chris's too, come to think of it."

Piper shot her sister an admonishing look that clearly read 'don't interfere' but Phoebe ignored it, her focus solely on me as we left the club.

I shrugged in her embrace, not really wanting to answer what she was implying, "I don't know. Things have just been a little tense between us lately, I suppose."

I didn't elaborate and Phoebe was about to ask for more details when Piper cut in, saving me by changing subjects, "Look, Pheebs, why don't you just take Jason to a restaurant where you can't get buck wild and ask him how he feels?"

Phoebe's train of thought derailed from me and she nodded to her sister, successfully back on topic, "Mm, the direct approach. Very sneaky of you."

"Mm-hm, and if that doesn't work, ask him about the weather in Hong Kong." Piper added on as I shot her a grateful smile.

But just as I thought my mood was lightening, the sound of jingling shattered it once more. Within seconds, Chris had orbed in right in front of the doorway, blocking our way out.

"No!" the sisters said in unison and I bit back a laugh as Phoebe told him, "We're not demon hunting, we're going to lunch."

"Hey, I am not unreasonable. We can hunt demons after lunch," he told us, still avoiding my eyes, "By the way, anyone seen Leo?"

They both denied seeing him and Chris seemed agitated by that fact, "Well, if you do, let me know. There's a rumor floating around up there that he has a lead on whoever sent him to Valhalla,"

"Well, I'm sure that's very important stuff but I have another question. Did any of you three leave the book on the floor last night?" Piper asked us.

"On the floor?" Chris asked, clearly confused.

Phoebe and I shook our heads 'no'.

Piper eyed Chris, suddenly suspicious as he frowned, "Chris?"

"I vaguely remember a story that started like that in the future. Someone's after the book," he replied.

"Demons are always after the book. What's new?"

"No, I think this time they get it. You should take this threat seriously. And tell Paige... Where is Paige?"

"She's at her new temp job," Phoebe volunteered.

"She's still on that kick?"

"It's not a kick, Chris," Piper explained as we all headed up the stairs, "It's her quest for happiness outside of magic."

I noticed Chris sidestepped me as he passed so that we wouldn't brush arms and I couldn't help but frown. He didn't even want to touch me. Did he really hate me that much? Could my day get any worse?

Note: Sorry this is so short, guys! I promise the next chapter will be a lot longer :) Expect more drama though coming up ;)