⚜️Chapter 1⚜️

Happiness,

Everyone on earth needs it, but have so little of.

I moved to New York City three months ago for college. My mother, Brianna, is currently in prison and I'm responsible for dealing with her financial catastrophe, being the only close family she has left  I have no other choice. My father , the deserter as I'd like to call him,  has been out of our lives for years and nobody knows where he is.

"I think this is a terrible idea. You're only getting yourself into trouble. Places like those are very bad news and you know that, yet you go and get a job there." William said disapproving. "What on Earth were you thinking?" He sighed heavily, dropping his jacket on my bed.

I replied as calmly as possible, "And what trouble is that? I'll be serving drinks and nothing else."

"It doesn't change the fact that you've now excellently qualified yourself to be employed at a club. That, my friend, Is the last place I imagined you working at." He announced while clapping his hands. "Congratulations! Elisabeth Wilson, you have successfully succeeded at disappointing me once again."

I didn't qualify myself, Meghan gave me this job. But I can't tell William any of this because he will disapprove even more once he finds out that Meghan is behind this. She is my mother's step sister and has been involved in shady dealings in the past. We were warned to stay away from her. But I badly needed money and she was my remaining option.

"Did you just roll your eyes at me Betty?"

"Calm down William, please. Let's consider it as a regular every day paying job with a standard salary."

"Stop it." He warned unimpressed. "This ain't funny."

"I never claimed it. I'm being serious about this job. It ain't a joke to me."

William scoffed. "Sometimes I wonder what the heck is wrong with you. This is not the time to be stubborn about something as risky as being hired at a nightclub, which is not a place for a girl like you to even be at. What's usually bothering you? Uh! In that head...."

"A girl like me?" I rephrased.

William narrowed his green eyes at me. "You know exactly what I'm referring to."

"Actually, I do not."

He huffed in annoyance, "YOU ARE VULNERABLE." The tone of his voice changed immediately. "Anything can easily go wrong there and it could lead to another compromising situation. Haven't you picked up anything from before? Do you want the same things to happen all over again."

I blinked once, twice, "That was then, this is now. And I am NOT a fragile young teenager anymore William. "

He cursed upon my response, "Bullshit. Thats a load of nonsense and you know it." William pointed at me. "What the heck is wrong with you? Did everything that happen mess up that brain?Are you ever going to learn from your past?"

"I'm trying to do that, but you keep bringing it up. It's hard moving on from something that is constantly being reintroduced."

It feels as though William is the one who finds it hard to forget the things that happened to me. He takes it harder.

"Then stop acting stupid." He snapped.

I averted my gaze from him.

He sighed, realising that he just lost his temper. "I'm sorry....for yelling at you."

For the nth time.

"Its fine." I dismissed immediately. I can't afford taking this way too far.

"No, it's not fine." He stepped closer to me. "I mean it. I shouldn't have talked that way to you, nor brought up the issues of the past."