⚜️ Chapter 35⚜️

The truth never dies.

Listen to "Skyfall" by Adele

ELISABETH WILSON'S POV

I replayed James and Callum's argument in the depth of my mind. The backlashes, the truths, the ugly, the confessions and the blows.

I walked silently across the crowded streets of New York city. The night lights and sirens of moving vehicles mixed with chants of people having conversations drew my attention.

I used to love the idea of this City more than anything. I thought of nothing else but finally leaving Orlando to survey and memorise the sites of New York. I had a dream. That dream gave me a reason to cope with everything.

I doubt that dream exists now.

I wiped my tears with the thick layers of James's hoodie and kept on walking. The cold air burned my flushed cheeks and I palmed the skin there to create warmth.

I spotted a phone booth by the end of the street next to a post office. Ravaging through the pockets of the sweat pants that I wore to perhaps find any lose change I can use to make a call.

I exhaled in relief when a hundred dollar bill and some cents came out of the joggers. I walked to the booth and slipped in the coins, dialing the number of the last person left to turn to.

"Hello." I heard her clear voice on the other side of the line. "Meghan Vance speaking."

I released a weary and shallow breathe.

"Aunty." I mustered to speak with a hoarse tone. I rarely refer to her as Aunt.

"Betty?" Meghan called out expectantly. "Sweety, is that you?"

I placed a hand above my mouth to muffle a cry as I tightly shut my eyes.

"Elisabeth?"

"I have nowhere else to go." I managed hesitantly holding back the tears. I bite hard the trembling lip and grasped the pay phone tightly. I can't return to campus. Facing Lucy and perhaps William feels like to much to handle especially after almost collapsing in James's apartment.

"Where are you?" She inquired instantly.

I stuttered failing to talk because of how sore my throat felt. It's been a long night.

"Darling tell me the exact location and I come find you." She urged worried.

I managed to provide an address.

"Wait for me okay, don't go anywhere else. If there's a restaurant or safe place near by then you can settle inside." She instructed. "Aunty's coming for you."

I hiccuped a thank you before the line went dead.

I leaned against the tinted glass of the booth and closed my eyes.

Flushes of the previous scenario clouded my thoughts. I'll never forget the way Callum looked at me when he walked into that apartment. His wide eyes, the way his shoulders shrugged in defeat and the sadness. He was so crushed.

James tried to explain that we weren't doing anything wrong. That he aimed at protecting me and it wasn't his intention to hide anything from Callum.

I didn't even know anyone was searching for me. I assumed they didn't bother but turns out they looked everywhere and James hide that fact. I pleaded with Callum to believe and trust me but he saw no sense.

James raged at Callum for throwing accusations and insults. I tried to stop the fight but they lunged at each other and I couldn't do anything. Callum felt betrayed and he had every right to lash out on us but James was to proud to watch Callum confront us about anything. James claimed he had logical reasons and that it wasn't his fault I run to him first.