⚜️Chapter 47⚜️

ELIZABETH WILSON'S POV

When I woke up, Enos wasn't there. The side of the bed where he laid was vacant, no trace of him inside the room.

I went downstairs looking for him, surprisingly, April was in the kitchen.

She was placing groceries in the fridge.

"Oh! Morning Betty." She greeted upon registering my presence.

I stared at the grocery bags on the island.

Why is April at my house early in the morning? And most importantly, why is she stuffing my fridge with food I didn't pay for?

"You're wondering about all the goodies uh?" April asked. "Enos told me to bring that here. He said something about you guys missing dinner last night."

That was thoughtful. I'm starving.

"Thank you for stopping by." I said, then taking a sit by the counter. "Where is Enos?"

I want to speak to him about something. I hope he hasn't left yet.

"The guy didn't tell me where he was going." She replied, proceeding to fill the fridge. "And he won't be returning anytime soon."

I nodded.

That's disappointing. He didn't even wake me up to say good bye or anything.

"I want to talk to him." I announced. "Can I get his number?"

"After breakfast then." April agreed. "But first, I'm making fat cakes and coffee for the both of us. I skipped on my mother's cooking."

I love fat cakes.

"Sounds inviting." I told her.

"You're welcome."

April began tending the coffee maker as I sat there.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?" She mentioned.

"What do you mean?"

April eyed me over the rim of the coffee. "Enos looks worse than a bitten up dog. I was shocked to see him that way. And also, he spent the night here, with you, instead of showing up at Bill's trailer."

Why won't Enos ever explain things to April?

"Was it his stepdad? Did he do that to Enos?" She questioned.

"What?"

I was perplexed.

I never expected that Enos's mother remarried. And why would that man want to hurt Enos?

"The sheriff, Tyler, that's his stepfather. Was the man here last night?" April kept on asking.

"Uh!"

April folded her arms. "Tall, buffed, extremely aggressive grumpy fella with the terrible temper. Did you recognize him?" She inquired. "Ring a bell?"

"Katherine remarried?" Was the first sentence to come out of me.

April frowned. "To the worst man in Orlando." She replied. "And also the sheriff of this town."

"Why do you think the man beat Enos up?" I asked her.

She scoffed.

"Wouldn't be the first time those two men got into a fight." April mentioned. "They never get along. Can't even stay in the same room without trying to lung at each other."

Am at loss for words.

"Is that the reason Enos lives alone?"

"Yes." She confirmed. "Katherine just watched as her husband kicked Enos out of the house. She even dared to blame Enos for attempting to ruin her new family and negatively influencing the rest of her children. Thats not true at all. Everyone in this town knows what type of man that Tyler is. But katherine still chooses to defend that corrupt son of a bitch."

This is terrible.

How can a mother do such a thing?

"You're shocked uh?" April huffed.

I nodded.

April went on to say, "Enos deserves better than that. The only reason he even sticks around here is for his siblings. Enos doesn't trust that man at all. He worries for the kids safety. Especially since neither of the children belong to Tyler."

What's wrong with some people? Why can't they just treat others well enough?

"Anyway, was Tyler the culprit? Did he fight Enos?" April raised again.

I don't want to talk about last night.

"It wasn't him." I replied. "Some men should up but I don't know who they were."

There's more to Enos than whats beneath the eye.

_________

I was on the phone with my mother's lawyer, Attorney Trovatto. And currently, he's not making any sense.

I never finished paying money for his services. Infact, I was planning to do so this week but stuff obviously didn't go according to plan.

"Miss Wilson, the remaining amount dues for the case was already cleared. I sent you the receipts by mail, together with the bank statements." He said.

I'm very confused right now. I did not receive any statements or receipts.

Who could've paid for the lawyer's services on my behalf? And why?

"Sorry Attorney, but to be frank with you, recently, I haven't transfered anything to your Law firm." I informed truthfully.

"I'm aware of that Elisabeth. The endorser of the money goes by the name James Andrew Scott." The attorney announced.

What?

I stood up from the coach.

"Can you repeat that Sir?"

I began pacing in the living room.

"Yes of course." He went on to explain. "James Andrew called my office about a month ago requesting information on your mother's criminal case and every necessary amount required to issue the parole."

"A month ago!" My eyes widen in shock.

The attorney proceeded, "James offered to be a benefactor for the case. Mister Scott claimed that you are actually a close family friend. He showed no signs of having ulterior motives and after confirming his authenticity, the firm permitted the transaction."

I wasn't expecting this at all. James has left me completely shocked. He never said anything, not once.

"I wanted to call and inform you Elisabeth, but he requested that I withhold the matter from you for that mean time. After a while, I assumed that James must have spoken to you already. Guess he hasn't." Trovatto finished.

Why would James do this without telling me?

He already got me a job at Inez's fashion house, why proceed to pay the attorney?

"Aren't you familiar with Mister Scott?" The attorney asked, worried. "It seems like.."

"I know him." I confirmed, holding back a sigh.

Before ending the call, "One more thing Elisabeth." The lawyer said. "Your mother's parole request was granted yesterday. She'll be set free as soon as Tuesday, up until another court date is issued."

"What?" I galbed. "Are you serious?" I tried not to scream.

"Turns out the judge decided to grant the parole sooner than expected." He chuckled over the phone. "Brianna is free to go."

Nothing could explain the joy I was feeling inside.

I thanked the Attorney a million times for all his efforts.

"You're welcome Miss Wilson." He said, happy for me. "Drop by the firm tomorrow and we'll talk more about the case."

________

Any thoughts?

May good luck find you.

-Lynn