Chapter 8: Play Weak

Chun'er and Xiao Tao were both strangers, but they all picked on you on purpose. There has to be something else going on. Best to be careful. There are causes and effects for everything. No hate spawns all of nothing. Perhaps these two events are connected?

Xiu Ying: Best to look for answers at the source. Chun'er been having a hard time lately. She'll break soon.

You come to the Hard Labor Camp and see the once pretty Chun'er turned into a shrivelled hag from all the hard labor. You almost can't recognize her. She give you a deathly glare.

Chun'er: [Mockingly] Oh hey, isn't this Xiu Ying? What brings you here?

Chun'er tries to annoy you, but you are way past that already.

Chun'er: Here to mock me? Sorry but I'm still alive.

She tries to look calm but you can hear her putting on airs. You might be able to get some leads using her. What do you do?

Xiu Ying: Seriously, you had a great future, but you had to cross me. Why?

You sigh in disappointment. Chun'er scoffs.

Chun'er: Quit mocking me!

Xiu Ying: Oh woe is you, poor wittle Chun'er.

Chun'er: You bitch!

Chun'er loses her temper. She tries to calm down. Best to strike while the iron's hot. I should hit her again while she's losing it.

Xiu Ying: Well, I'll get going then. Have fun with your toilets for life now!

Chun'er: You won't get away!

Xiu Ying: Oh? Like someone'e going to save you?

Chun'er realizes that she has said too much, so she stops talking.

Xiu Ying: Looks like the person behind is pretty big. You were just a pawn though. Would they have left you here to rot if they actually cared about you?

Chun'er: [Scoffs] Don't try to provoke me. It won't work.

Xiu Ying: [Smiles] Oh? So you admit that there's some other reason for you framing me? But you won't sell out your master, would you?

Chun'er: [Ice cold] It's got nothing to do with anyone. I just don't like you!

Xiu Ying: That's a bad cover up. I'm even more sure that someone put you up to it.

Chun'er: You... You bitch!

Xiu Ying: Seriously be more creative with your insults.

The harder you laugh, the worse Chun'er looks. But since she's already in hard labor camp, she won't really do anything outrageous if she wants to leave.

Chun'er: [Outraged] You turn is coming! I'll pay you back double when I get out!

Xiu Ying: [Sighs] You are just way too stupid. Your master will die from your idiotic moves. Oh right, if they die then how are they going to get you out?

Chun'er starts shaking in anger. She turns and leaves.

You don't know the real culprit will actually die from her stupidity, but Chun'er is dying from her rage already. Still, she hasn't leaked much information even in this condition. She's really loyal. It's hard to figure out who it is that wants to hurt you, but you'll find the person one day. If Chun'er gives no useful information, then perhaps Xiao Tao will. 

She's on duty at the Imperial Garden today. Xiao Tao is a bit shaken when she sees you in the Imperial Garden.

Xiao Tao: [Dryly] Why are you here?

You knew this would be Xiao Tao's attitude. After all, who'd be happy to be paired up with an old pervert? Still, it was Xiao Tao who started it. You are thinking how should you talk to Xiao Tao with her being hostile.

Xiu Ying: It's so nice out today, but a little hot. Are you feeling hot too?

Xiao Tao: None of your business! I'm sweating here. Do you want to help me?

Xiu Ying: We can probably have a good chat.

Xiao Tao: Get on with it!

Xiu Ying: It was probably a misunderstanding right? After all, we don't even know each other, so there was no reason for you to do it.

Xiao Tao: Misunderstanding? What kind of misunderstanding could there be? What, are you saying that you feel nothing about Lord Fu Heng?

You wanted to have a good conversation with her, but she's being very hostile. Your patience wears thin.

Xiu Ying: We don't even know each other. Is someone putting you up to this?

Xiao Tao shows look of panic, confirming your guess.

Xiao Tao: I don't know what you're talking about, scram! You're in my way.

Then Xiao Tao shoves you with quite a bit of force. You fall backwards and drop down. Just as you are about to get up, you see a figure in a distance, and come up with a plan.

Xiu Ying: Sorry, what did I do to make you hate me so much, that you'd go far to insult me?

You shaker and cover your eyes as you speak. The sudden change of tone makes Xiao Tao stunned.

Xiao Tao: Scram then if you are scared. Don't ever come to the Imperial Garden again!

Crown Prince: What? You're just an employee here, and you're acting like it's your own turf?

A stern voice comes through. It belongs to the handsome and well-dressed Crown Prince. You pretend to wipe your tears and get up to greet him.

Xiao Tao: [Scared] I would never think that!

Crown Prince: What happened to all that spirit you had? I almost thought you were some master if it weren't for your maid outfit.

Xiao Tao: No that's not what I meant! It's Xiu Ying! She provoked me and I was merely scolding her. Please forgive me for my bad choice of words, Your Highness!

Although you were able to get the Crown Prince to stand up for you by pretending to be picked on. Xiao Tao is not an easy prey either. How should you act from here on?

Xiu Ying: You tried to defame me by saying that I had a relationship with the guard, and I'm here to seek justice...

Xiao Tao: You flirted with him yourself! And you even told people that I was with Eunuch Li!

Xiu Ying: No I didn't!

You make your voice shaky and try to sound like you're crying, even going as far as pinching yourself. Xiao Tao gets absolutely livid and starts rambling. The Crown Prince believes you even more, and tells people to take her down.

Xiu Ying: Thank you for standing up for me, Your Highness.

The Crown prince nods and leaves. His figure disappears into the distance. Now you turn back to your normal expression and wipe away your goosebumps.