Chapter 123: The Luxurious Boat at Night

You watch in amazement as the kid clears a table of food in 5 minutes flat.

Xiu Ying: [Looking puzzled] I guess... you haven't eaten in a while.

Child: [Gulping down his tea] Nope. I haven't eaten this well in ages.

Fu Heng: You have no family at all?

Child: [Muffled] No.

Xiu Ying: Okay, okay. It's late already. Let's get some sleep and talk again in the morning. You can sleep in my brother's room.

Child: No way I'm sleeping with him! I sleep by myself!

Fu Heng: Talk about fussy.

Xiu Ying: Fine. Sleep by yourself.

You go and ask the innkeeper for another room. As you turn back, Fu Heng is standing right there.

Fu Heng: you really plan to keep him? We know nothing about him! You really want that kind of trouble?

You look over at the table where the kid is still drinking his tea and smile.

Xiu Ying: Look at his clothes and his manners. He belongs to a rich family. He probably stormed out after an argument. He's probably had a sheltered upbringing. Now he's on the street, he's going to get himself in trouble. If think if we can help him, we should.

Fu Heng: [Giving up] Have it your way.

Xiu Ying: [Winking] Besides, we're going to be here for a while. If we can make friends with the local gentry, that will be a good thing, right?

Child: Everything okay? I'm feeling sleepy.

The kid interrupts. You walk over to him.

Xiu Ying: I'm Afu. My brother's name is Aheng. What's your name?

Xiao Ze: Xiao Ze.

You take Xiao Ze up to his room and then return back downstairs to ask the innkeeper a few questions about Prince Jin. His reaction takes you by surprise.

Shopkeeper: [Alarmed] Why do you want to know about him?

Xiu Ying: [Trying to reassure him] Good sir, we are merchants from a distant city. On the road we heard some stories about the Prince, and we don't know whether to believe them or not...

You nod encouragingly at the innkeeper. Fu Heng quietly pulls out a couple of silver coins. The innkeeper appear to relax.

Shopkeeper: The city isn't very safe these days. I don't know why you'd want to come here...

Xiu Ying: But are the stories true? We're from the country so we're last to hear about things...

Shopkeeper: [Quietly] They are... Prince Jin is regent and his methods are... extreme. Our business is losing money...

Xiu Ying: [Astonished] Isn't he afraid the people will turn on him?

Shopkeeper: [Shakes head] No one would dare! Anyway, it's only us common people who suffer. The rich and powerful are filling their coffers...

Xiu Ying: But he can't hide the truth from everyone. What about the crown prince? I know he's still young, but...

Shopkeeper: [Alarmed again] Why are you asking so many questions? That's it! I'm not saying any more! Go and ask someone else!

The Prince's extreme methods have made the people wary. Realizing you won't get anything more out of the innkeeper, you leave.

Fu Heng: It looks like Prince Jin CAN hide the truth from everyone.

Xiu Ying: Don't worry, there's still time. It's late. We should get some sleep. We can talk about it tomorrow.

You go to your room and get into bed, but toss and turn for ages. Finally you get up and open the window for some fresh air. Under the moonlight you notice a familiar figure step out from the inn and into the shadows.

Xiu Ying: That confounded child!

You knock on Fu Heng's door. He doesn't answer. You open the door and find he is not there. Afraid for Xiao Ze, you run downstairs and out of the inn without a second thought. By the time you get down there he is already long gone. You yell his name and give chase.

Drunkard: [Jumping out] AH-HA!!! A young lady! (Barf)

Xiu Ying: What do you mean by that?

You watch the barfing drunk for a few seconds, before continuing your search for Xiao Ze.

Under the moonlight autumn winds disturb the crystalline waters of the river. A luxurious painted barge is docked by the bank. Glamorous looking people are getting on board. To your horror you see Xiao Ze walking boldly up to the painted barge. You run over and quickly pull him into the shadows.

Xiu Ying: What are you doing?

Xiao Ze: What are you doing here?! I'm going in there!

Xiu Ying: Can't you see it's all rich and powerful people going in there? Or maybe... your family is inside?

Xiao Ze: What?! That's silly! Anyway, I'm going inside and that's that. Thanks for your help. I owe you.

Xiu Ying: I'll come in with you.

Xiao Ze: Why? Aren't you scared?

Xiu Ying: It's rare I meet someone who doesn't recoil when they see my face. I want to protect you.

Xiao Ze: [Solemnly] Don't be hard on yourself. Appearances aren't important. It's what's inside that matters. Your good heart is what makes you beautiful.

Xiu Ying: Okay, thanks! You're very kind. Let's go! You know when you want to sneak into some place, it's always best to take the side door!

You hold Xiao Ze's hand and lead him towards the barge's side door. You run straight into an old lady carrying a basket of vegetables.

Grandma: Guards! Thieves!

Xiu Ying: Shhhh! We're not thieves!

Grandma: If you're not thieves, what are you?

Xiu Ying: This young man crept off the barge for some fun, and I'm returning him.

Luckily Xiao Ze's clothes are well made and he looks well kept. The old lady takes one look at him and believes you.

Grandma: Really? Which house?

Xiu Ying: (Oh no! Why'd she ask that? Shall I make one up?)

Guard A: [Responding to the old lady's shout, stares at you] Thieves? What are you two doing here?

Xiu Ying: We're not thieves, we're...

Xiao Ze: [Interrupting] Wang family.

Both the guard and the old lady blanch, then apologies profusely. They graciously invite you inside. Once inside you turn to Xiao Ze.

Xiu Ying: Xiao Ze, are you really a member of the Wang family?

Xiao Ze: [Coldly] No, but I'm about the same age as one of their kids.

Xiu Ying: [Laughing] Clever. Do you know why all these important people are meeting here?

Xiao Ze: Probably planning something bad. It's Prince Jin's boat.