Chapter 42: Her Highness's Trap

Red walls and white snow. The palace in winter is solemn and beautiful. But, it seems to be colder than other places. You are off duty in the morning, so you stay with the Empress Dowager to tell stories. You leave her just past noon. A very fine looking maid comes at you as soon as you leave.

Maid: You are so nice to the Empress Dowager, visiting her even when you have moved to a different post.

Xiu Ying: You are working for the Queen, right? Do you need me for something?

Maid: The white plum is blooming at the Queen's palace. Her Highness loves it so much that she wants to sew them on the handkerchief. She heard that you are good at sewing, so she's requesting you to make a white plum flower handkerchief.

If the Queen wants a handkerchief, there are specialist embroiderers in the palace. Any one of them would be more skilled. It's all just an excuse so she can see you.

Xiu Ying: (The Queen is hard to predict. It's best to stay alert.)

You make an excuse so you can go back to get some help. What kind of excuse would be best?

Xiu Ying: That's too kind of Her Highness. I should go with you right away. However I just spilled milk over myself, and it smells foul. I really should go back and change first.

Maid: [Frowns] It is very disrespectful to see the Queen in these clothes. I'll go with you to change then.

She's following you over a change of clothes. It's as though she's afraid something would go wrong. You are even more suspicious.

Xiu Ying: [Stops] My room is untidy. It'd be rude for me to invite you in like this. Please wait here for a moment.

She's does not follow you in, probably because she knows you live alone. You write a letter to Eunuch Gui to check if there's anything suspicious as soon as you get inside, and send it out with a pigeon. After which, you change you clothes, and walk out calmly to go see the Queen with the maid.

The head of the six palaces lives in a palace far more luxurious than others. White plum blossoms are cold and majestic. The Queen drinks tea leisurely in the pavilion.

Xiu Ying: Greetings, Your Highness. May you be the most fortuitous.

Queen: [Softly] I'll be troubling you with the handkerchief then. Come here and have tea while viewing the blossoms.

You sit beside the Queen after thanking her. You pretend to enjoy the flowers as you are in turmoil. A very pretty young maid brings you cup of tea and places the cup near you. You are on alert to everything around you. You immediately notice her one unnatural movement.

A piece of paper with "Gui" written on it flashes past as she puts down the cup.

Xiu Ying: (Eunuch Gui moves fast. Things should be good already.)

Queen: I really enjoy this tea. Try it.

Xiu Ying: [Drink tea] The tea is fit for the most graceful Queen indeed.

Queen: [Smiling] You can bring some back if you like it.

Knowing Eunuch Gui is supporting you, you start to relax and have a good chat with the Queen. It's already dusk when you leave her palace. Rays of orange sunlight drop down in a slope. Eunuch Gui has been waiting outside your yard for a long time.

Eunuch Gui: Good thing you figured out something was up right away. I have someone in the Queen's palace, and I sent people to investigate as soon as I got your letter. Apparently she wants to poison you.

You almost cannot even react. You thought of a lot of scenarios, but never thought the Queen would poison you.

Eunuch Gui: It's not a poison that kills immediately, but one that will kill only when the time is right.

You figure out why the Queen wants you dead right after this explanation.

Xiu Ying: (The Queen thinks I'm with the Crown prince, and doesn't trust me. That's why she wants to use the poison to control me.)

The Queen appears kind, but she's by far the most devious of the ladies.

Xiu Ying: [Sincerely] Thank you, Eunuch Gui. I would have drunk the poisoned tea if it weren't for you.

Eunuch Gui: We've known each other for so long. I would help you even without the Fourth Prince's orders. Don't worry about it.

You didn't drink the poisoned tea, but you need to act like you have to gain the Queen's trust. You have to pretend to be under their control. Snow falls on a pitch black night. They look like willow catkin under the torchlight. Your eyes grow cold as you stare into the fiery red plum flowers not far away. The swords that point at you in the dark will one day be revealed.