Chapter 53: Fake Care

Shi Lian runs to you and holds you by the arm as soon as you leave the Hall of Mental Cultivation.

Shi Lian: I heard from Shu Xian that Fourth Prince fell out of sight as soon as he got punished. He really made his Majesty mad.

Although Shi Lian grew up with you and can be trusted, you don't want to drag her into the hard path revenge. You play off the news nonchalantly.

Xiu Ying: He did something wrong, now he's probably ashamed.

Shi Lian: [Surprised] I thought you'd be panicking. After all, you and the Fourth Prince get along so well, and you talk about him all the time.

Xiu Ying: I do? In a resentful way, right?

Shi Lian: [Sneaks a laugh] The Fourth Prince always gets you mad, but you don't really dislike him. I seems that you believe he's your friend.

Shi Lian's words reminds you that Yin Zhen's situation is just a part of the act. Still, the Emperor's punishment is real. Yin Zhen's probably a bit disappointed.

Xiu Ying: (Maybe I should bring him some dessert?)

You decide to make dessert. At around dusk, you bring dessert to Yin Zhen. Yin Zhen doesn't show any surprise or joy when he sees you.

Yin Zhen: How come you're here?

MC: It looks like I'm not welcome here then. I'll put this here and leave.

Yin Zhen: [Stands and watches your package] What's that?

Xiu Ying: Tasty dessert.

Yin Zhen: I don't like desserts.

MC: Liar. You even took mine before!

Yin Zhen rubs his nose awkwardly as he remembers.

Xiu Ying: [Smugly] Alright, it looks like you're doing fine, I'll be off then.

Yin Zhen: Hold on. You have to stay here and wait for me to finish, so it you poisoned it I'd have you right here.

Xiu Ying: [Furious] If that's how you're going to be then I'll just feed it to the dogs.

Yin Zhen ate everything up even though he constantly complains.

The news of you bringing dessert to the Fourth Prince reaches the Crown Prince the next day. The Crown Prince asks rashly as you prepare tea.

Crown Prince: I heard you went to the Fourth Prince?

Xiu Ying: If I didn't do anything to show my care after all that, he'd get suspicious. He's a cautious man. If he suspects me then I wouldn't be able to help you any more.

Crown Prince: He is cautious indeed. You are wise.

Xiu Ying: [Act overjoyed] Thank you, Your Highness.

The little bit of suspicion the Crown Prince had is gone after your explanation. Your eyes grow cold at the same time.

Xiu Ying: (Who's been watching me? How did the news of me going to the Fourth Prince reach the Crown Prince so quickly.)

You really want to know who told the Crown Prince. How should you ask?

Xiu Ying: [Piteous] Yet, how did you learn of my meeting with the Fourth Prince? Do you still not trust me, that you had someone follow me?

You act like you've been wrong, tugging at your dress with your head lowered. He still needs to use you, thus, he tries to comfort you.

Crown Prince: There's no way I wouldn't trust you. It's just that Zhuxi happened to be there yesterday and she let me know.

Xiu Ying: (Zhuxi's extremely loyal to the Crown Prince. She might ruin all my plans.)

There's no way it was a coincidence. Zhuxi is probably always on your tail, trying to find your faults and tell on the Crown Prince.