Chapter 165: At the Night Pavilion

No matter how blue is the sky and cozy the breeze, the towering red walls still make you feel like you're inside a prison.

Xiu Ying: (Am I doomed to stay confined in here forever?)

Shi Lian: What's wrong, Miss? Lord Fu Heng has called out to you several times!

You now notice Fu Heng pausing nearby on his patrol. He leaves a few words with his men and walks toward you by himself. You smile at him and he shows a rare sign of happiness.

Fu Heng: What have you been staring at that's so interesting?

He imitates you gazing up at the sky, then looks thoughtfully back at you.

Xiu Ying: I want to ask you, Fu Heng... When His Majesty sent you as my escort to Western Liang, did he send someone else as well?

Fu Heng: [Surprised] He didn't send anyone else other than me. Do you think His Majesty knew more than possible? It wasn't me, I didn't spy on you!

Xiu Ying: I know it's not you.

Fu Heng: [Relaxes] Good, because I don't want any misunderstanding between us. You must have had a rough time in Western Liang after I left...

Xiu Ying: [Shakes head and cut him off] That's all history now, though I get desperate just thinking that something similar might happen to me again in the future...

You mean it as an offhand remark, but Fu Heng takes it seriously to heart and secretly vows to rise up in ranks so he can protect those he wants to protect.

Hui Xin: Are you on break, brother?

Fu Heng turns to glare at his sister for her taunt, but that only encourages Her. Hui Xin comes over, holds onto your arm, grins toward her brother, and sticks her tongue out.

Hui Xin: You're still on your shift, I'll watch over the lady!

Fu Heng: Don't pay attention to her, she doesn't know what she's talking about.

He leaves without a word or acknowledging Hui Xin.

Hui Xin: [Grinning] Do you like my brother?

Xiu Ying: What... are you getting at?

Hui Xin: Ahem. I guess that was too blunt, but don't be shy, I won't tell anyone. And I can tell you that my brother... What are you doing back here, Fu Heng?

You have no idea but there he is, back before you and staring at Hui Xin. She coughs and scampers away.

Hui Xin: Just remembered I still got things to do. See you!

You suddenly find yourself locking eyes with Fu Heng, and both of you are a bit red on the face.

Xiu Ying: [Clear throat] She still acts like a child.

Fu Heng: [Solemn] See me at the Pavilion in the lake center after 7 tonight. I want to tell you something.

Xiu Ying: [Stunned] Okay...

Shi Lian approaches you after Fu Heng is out of earshot. She seems conflicted over whether to say what she has in mind.

Shi Lian: [Decisively] My lady, I believe Lord Fu Heng thinks you're special, and perhaps even...

Xiu Ying: [Interrupt] Stop it, Shi Lian. The friendship between him and I was born out of survival, so it's not what you think!

Lake Upon an Autumn Night

Actually, you never thought of yourself as dull to signals, but after Yin Zhen's confession and what Hui Xin and Shi Lian observed about Fu Heng, you're not so sure... You happen to touch your cheeks and notice they're hot, but have no idea how red they are.

Xiu Ying: [Mutter] What's going on? Am I having feelings? Oh what am I to do...

It bothers you until nighttime. You come to the Pavilion in the lake center after 7 as promised, though you're probably early because you don't see Fu Heng. The stars twinkle in the autumn night sky. Lanterns around the pavilion sway gently in the breeze.

Xiu Ying: (It's getting a bit cold now. Is he still busy? Why is he not here yet?)

Just then, you hear footsteps behind you.

Xiu Ying: (Annoyed without turning around) You're late, Fu Heng!

The footsteps stop, then comes a voice that almost make you jump.

Yin Zhen: Fu Heng?

You turn and see Yin Zhen instead. You can't tell if it's a smile or frown on his face, but you can sense he's upset. Hold on, it was Fu Heng who asked you out, so what is Yin Zhen doing here?

 Hold on, it was Fu Heng who asked you out, so what is Yin Zhen doing here?

Xiu Ying: What are you doing here, Fourth Prince?

Yin Zhen: Oh, did I intrude? I'm sorry.

Xiu Ying: [Clear throat] Shadow said you left the capital on official business. Did you just get back?

Yin Zhen: Yes. I came straight here after reporting in with His Majesty only to find you seeing other men behind my back!

Xiu Ying: (Wait, why is he saying that?)

You hear more footsteps approach and, to your chagrin, it is indeed Fu Heng.

Fu Heng: Greeting, Your Highness.

Yin Zhen: No patrol tonight? I'm having a private conversation with the County Lady. Please give us some privacy.

Fu Heng remains respectful of Yin Zhen but shows no sign of backing down.

Fu Heng: I have an appointment with the County Lady, therefore I didn't anticipate Your Highness's presence here.

Yin Zhen: I would like to speak to her as well. You should leave and not let us keep you waiting.

Fu Heng: Excuse me, but I'm here to speak with her, not you. I'm afraid I cannot comply with the request.

Both men appear calm, though with obvious animosity in their words. You find yourself lost and helpless in between them. Yin Zhen turns his eyes on you as if expecting an answer from you.

Xiu Ying: [Resigned] I did have an appointment with Lord Fu Heng, Your Highness.

Yin Zhen: [Smiles] You do? Okay, go ahead. I'll just enjoy the lakeview.

 I'll just enjoy the lakeview