Chapter 142: The Power to Resist

The lights in the hall have been re-lit, and the tables and chairs are scattered on the floor. The actors are cowering at the corner trembling. No one else dare to make a sound in such atmosphere. At this moment, Yin Zhen suddenly strides in with a fan in hand, his face is an expression of lingering panic.

Yin Zhen: How did the fight suddenly break out? Fortunately Your Highness didn't get hurt. A travelling merchant like me always need the protection from others, otherwise I would have long gone.

Prince Jin: What a pity that they spoil our fun today. We shall talk later. Guards, escort Mr. Yin back to his inn.

Yin Zhen: I wish Your Highness rest well too. By the way, are you all right, miss?

As Yin Zhen pass you, he suddenly pauses and asks with concern. Surprised, you can feel Prince Jin's gaze on you.

Prince Jin: [eyes blinking] What's up? Did something happen?

Hearing Prince Jin's voice, Yin Zhen turns his head immediately and sighed, then shakes his head.

Yin Zhen: I saw a thug grabbing her head and was about to smash her on the wall. Fortunately I called my men to save her in time, otherwise... How could they deal a girl like that? [looks at you again] How are you now?

Xiu Ying: [shakes head] I'm fine. Thank you for saving me, sir.

Yin Zhen: [smile] You are tough. I saw that thug almost lifting your scalp.

Xiu Ying: Thanks to you, I haven't got injured.

Yin Zhen nods and leaves with his guard. Silence has returned to the hall. Now Prince Jin's gaze at you seems to be milder.

Xiu Ying: [kneel down] Your Highness, I don't understand. Is Your Highness doubting me? I swear upon my life that I knew nothing of what happened today!

As you speak seriously and tearfully, Prince Jin suddenly realize that despite your ugly feature, your eyes are unexpectedly beautiful.

Prince Jin: Okay. If you knew nothing of what happened today, answer me, are you an acquaintance of the Crown Prince?

Prince Jin stares straight at you with sharp eyes. You have a feeling that you are not going to live if he detect any deception from you. You can't tell the truth or be found deceiving. Either way will only lead to death.

MC: [tearful] I dare not deceive Your Highness. I did have met His Highness the Crown Prince before and saved His Highness's life accidentally, that's why His Highness had some favor for me. We have no further contact other than this.

Prince Jin: No further contact? Is that the truth?

Xiu Ying: [bend down and press your forehead on the floor] Every single word! I had never expected what happened today, nor did I expect Your Highness's doubt on my loyalty. My life was spared by Your Highness. I would have never done anything to fail Your Highness.

Now you feel the pressure above your head slowly lifted. It seems Prince Jin has believed your words.

Prince Jin: You know the consequence if I find any deception from you. I'll trust you for now, but the Crowned Prince has some ulterior motives. I'm afraid he is using you to hurt me.

Xiu Ying: Your Highness, I don't know the Crown Prince's intent. Please rest assured that I will keep myself away from him.

Prince Jin: Report to me if the Crown Prince comes to you again.

Xiu Ying: Yes. As Your Highness wish.

Prince Jin: Come. Let's return to the mansion.

Prince Jin walks for a few steps, his face is as dark as the night outside.

Prince Jin: After this incident, I will be considered an evil person, and the Crown prince is not only benevolent but powerful today. [snort] It takes more than that to beat me. Show me what you've got.

You raise your head in silence behind the prince, looking at the dark night. Your heart is in a daze. There is no doubt that Xiao Ze has made a masterstroke. Powerful as Prince Jin is, he is losing the support from people with his cruelty. While Xiao Ze, facing Prince Jin's opposition, is yet to ascend to the throne, he is now winning the hearts of the people and expanding his power. He could have a bright future.

Xiu Ying: (Xiao Ze, it's good for you to match Prince Jin with power, but why did you hide your plan from me? If Prince Jin didn't trust me, my life could have ended here. I understand that we have just met for a few times and you don't fully trust me, but I have been taking you for a friend...)

Prince Jin: [Prince Jin suddenly turns to look at you] What are you thinking?

Xiu Ying: [shake head] I'm afraid.

Prince Jin: You work for me. As long as I'm alive, you have nothing to fear.

As he speaks, he turns to walk out of the theater, and you follow him quietly. Yet your heart is heavy and unsettled.

After Yin Zhen and Prince Jin got to know each other, they have met several time without you knowing. Only when you see Yin Zhen by accident do you learn that he has been visiting the prince for several days.

Si Yan: [drag you] His Highness is receiving guests. Let's go the other way.

You follow her gaze to see Yin Zhen and Prince Jin chatting in the pavilion of the mansion's garden. Their laugh can be heard occasionally.

Xiu Ying: (Why is Yin Zhen planning to get this close to Prince Jin?)

You feel nervous for Yin Zhen's action. After witnessing and experiencing Prince Jin's temper, you are unwilling to let Yin Zhen take any risk.

Xiu Ying: (No. I've got to find a chance to stop Yin Zhen.)

As you are about to leave with Si Yan, Prince Jin and Yin Zhen have noticed you from the pavilion, and you hear the prince's voice.

Prince Jin: Afu, come here.

You can only obey and salute. Prince Jin orders you to make tea. You can't help but look at the other maidens standing beside. Why does he ask you when there are other maidens there? But there can be no objection for the prince's words, and you follow his order to prepare the tea. However, Yin Zhen's gaze has been fixing on you, making you uncomfortable, but you cannot glare at him with Prince Jin around.

Prince Jin: [detect Yin Zhen's gaze] Why are you staring at the tea-brewing maiden, Mr. Yin?

Yin Zhen: [look at you and smile] I just have a familiar feeling from her. Her way of brewing tea, in particular, looks like that of a friend of mine. Perhaps they have some connection.

Prince Jin: Afu cannot be your friend, Mr. Yin.

Not only you are surprised by the words, even Prince Jin doesn't seem to expect himself saying the words.